Monday, February 28, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint Debian, hijack of "'Re: Debian Lenny..."

 

Hi David

My apologies for the delay in replying. I've been visiting my daughter in
Palmerston North, some 500 km away and have had no internet access.

"dbneeley" <dbneeley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Zed,
>
> I am very curious...
>
> After saying the "Ubu base has been wonderful" and "gotta love those Ubu
> repositories!"--you moved to LMDE and hope it is the new standard for
> Mint?

The above was written by <m_alexander61@yahoo.com> in reply to a message
from Roy <linuxcanuck@...

> In what way, please, is it superior to the mainline Mint based on Ubuntu?

If I may bring forward what I did actually say previously:

> > I've used LinuxMint since v3.0 Cassandra but when Clem issued LMDE, with
> > the warning that it was experimental, I decided to try it. There have
> > been a few niggles but even I, lacking a technical bent, have managed to
> > resolve them without too much hassle. Currently I am running LMDE 64bit
> > on my desktop and LMDE 32bit on a Thinkpad T60. Both work well and I'm
> > hoping that Clem and the development team decide to use Debian as the
> > base for the main Mint edition.

Why do I hope that Clem and the developers change over to a pure Debian
base? Mainly because I like Debian with the Mint tools and the concept of a
rolling release.

I must stress that I am not a programmer; have only average computer skills;

but so far have found it relatively painless to solve the very few problems
I've had with LMDE.

Whether I will feel the same way in, say 5 years time, when I'll be 85, I do
not know :-)

[snip]

> Personally, I am thinking about going to a distro which has a continuous
> upgrade model rather than the wholesale replacement every six months
> approach. However, to do so I want to be sure I am not giving away other
> very strong advantages that come with the Ubuntu constellation of
> distros--such as so many apps being written to be compatible out of the
> box without much fiddling to give just one example.

I have a fairly old machine: ASUS motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3500+, 512MB Cache, 2BG RAM, and have had no compatability issues.
Everything has just "worked out of the box".

> I am also considering constructing some sort of installer script that will
> re-install the various utilities and programs I have come to use commonly
> so doing a complete version upgrade can be done in a somewhat more
> foolproof method than trying to do it piece-meal.

Way beyond my abilities :-(

[snip]

Again, my apologies for the long delay before replying.

Zed
--
Zed
Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment