Monday, February 21, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: can't get certain websites

 

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 08:29:14AM -0500, Roy wrote:
> That did it. I changed the name server and I can now get them!
>
> So what does that tell me about my problem? The name server that it was
> using was 192.168.1.254 which was set by the router or dsl modem. If I
> re-install will I have to do this every time? Is there a better way to fix
At the router level, most routers allow you to manually set a DNS IP.
Assuming you have what would be a relatively common setup in the US---

You have a cable or DSL modem provided by the ISP. This connects to
them and gets addresses. You connect a router to the modem, which gets
an outside address from the modem. You can get into the router to
configure it, and see the DNS address that the ISP has set. The
192.168.1.254 sounds as if it might be the router's address, is it?

(Many of them use 192.168.1.1, but it can vary--D-Link uses 192.168.0.1,
for example.)

Anyway, in the router, you can set the DNS, probably refresh it too, and
then, assuming the .254 is the router, your machines should be able
continue using it, and still be able to get those sites.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment