Monday, February 28, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> You mistook what I said. I don't mind being wrong, but first check to make
> sure what I said.
>
> The comment said most *Linux* users and not Debian users use aptitude. My
> point was not specific to Debian itself, but to distros that use the Debian
> package management system of which Debian is not the largest by far. I like
> aptitude, but the fact remains that it does not come pre-installed on Ubuntu
> and Mint and many other large Debian based distros and Debian based distros
> themselves are less than half of all distributions, most of which are RPM
> based. So I was accurate that most *Linux* users do not use aptitude at all.
> I would add that most users of apt do not use aptitude either. Over half of
> those would use a GUI frontend and many of the commandline folks will use
> apt-get or sometimes even apt-fast or dpkg. That is not a slight against
> aptitude, but just reality. I know many people who personally who prefer
> aptitude, but that does not change the situation. I know far more who use
> the GUI, including most here.
>
> This is off topic anyway. The original person wanted help on unzipping and I
> am not sure why aptitude was even brought into it.
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>

I'm sorry Roy in the future I'll try to be less obtuse. But really I thought this thread was about installing software in Linux!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment