Friday, February 25, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Sony Y-Series - Ubuntu - faint sound

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Najib Asmaty <najib.mailinglists@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a Sony VAIO Y-Series VPCYA15FG. Unfortunately, they all come with
> Windows 7 pre-installed. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and ran the update. Ubuntu
> picked the sound card, but the sound is so faint that one can hardly hear
> it; almost mute.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Najib
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

You might be experiencing PulseAudio issues. I think Ubuntu likes to cram that stuff onto users. When it works I suppose its OK but it seems to cause more troubles than it is worth to me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Personally I just axe PulseAudio. If you want to deal with it it is up to you.

Everyone says use the GUI mixers but I usually just use the text mixer in a terminal. Start up a terminal and type alsamixer <enter>

Arrow keys scroll you left and right, m toggles mute, up and down arrow keys raise and lower levels. Hitting escape twice exits the program.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment