Sunday, February 27, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group

 

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 02:40:50AM -0000, Paul wrote:
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > Most Linux users install P7Zip or use the right click menu of the file
> > manager to Extract Here.
> >
> > Roy
>
> I thought most Linux users typed aptitude install ...

Heh, well are you sure that most Linux users are on Debian based
systems? (Although I suspect, with Ubuntu's popularity, that they are.)

As Roy said in his follow up email, these days, the vast majority of
them have graphic tools for this, which I imagine are easier for the
newcomer to Linux to use. I dunno, don't think I've ever used them.
I have heard many complaints about Fedora's packagekit, (and have my
own--the developer feels that it was fine to allow any user to update
packages without authentication.) The vast majority of Fedora users,
judging from the forums, still use yum rather than the guis.

Also, as Roy did mention, seems to me that in Ubuntu at least, they
don't include aptitude, only apt, though aptitude is easily installed.
(I prefer it to apt, simply because I can type apti<tab> as opposed to
reaching with my pinkie for the - key.)

IIRC, the original poster was asking about p7zip files though, and not
sure what most distributions include by default on that. I've only
worked with them on FreeBSD, CentOS and Fedora, so not sure what others
include in their default installations. (Not sure what CentOS and
Fedora do in their default installations either, actually, I always do a
minimal install and add to it. However, I see that in my CentOS
install, it's from rpmforge, meaning it wouldn't be included in a
default CentOS install.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Xander: Hi, for those of you who just tuned in,
everyone here is a crazy person.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment