Friday, April 11, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] The Debian Choice...

 

Windows XP's support has already expired. This is a major headache waiting to happen. Everybody with malicious intent is going to start to target XP machines with even greater zeal and there will be no help. The sheer numbers of XP machines and the potential makes it worth their while. I would not use XP if I could avoid it.

If I had to run XP then I would not install it on the hard drive. I would run Virtualbox in Debian and then install XP there. Then I would clone the XP installation and run the clone. If it gets infected then I would destroy the clone and run a new one. Debiaa will protect your file system and your XP installation would be sandboxed (isolated). You can share a folder in your home directory and your data would be safe.

Roy
On Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:35:30 PM, John Ferrell <jferrell13@triad.rr.com> wrote:
 
Thank you.
I have a few old applications that are licensed to this particular
computer that I would like to keep available.
At this time booting xp on the machine requires a drive swap.
I will study up on the available boot options. It might be that the
Linux utility can boot to another drive.

On 4/10/2014 1:33 PM, Scott wrote:
>
> If doing longterm note that MS is ending support for WinXP and so there
> will probably be no more security updates after a certain point this year.
> It's still usable, but I don't know how vulnerable it will be.

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the
deaf can hear." - Mark Twain



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment