Monday, April 4, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Advice needed: /sbin/init...gone?

 

The Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD, which Edbuntu drive tool, said the volume had not shut down clean. How I wish Ubuntu could repair itself easily, or at least displayed info completely on startup and shutdown.

I was able to mount the hard drive with a Puppy LUPU Live CD and saw that indeed /sbin/init and some other files in the /sbin folder showed an ICON that looked like a puzzle piece, some had a short-cut arrow, but some didn't. The umount.hal had a orange triangle with a "!" Was that normal?

Should I try a repair using Puppy to see the mounted hard disk and another Ubuntu CD in another DVD drive and copy the files? Or should I back-up the almost 300 GB to another HD on USB, and start over? Next time, I put Xmarks on Chromium, too, I'm slow to try new things, but I have to agree it's faster than the 3x Firefox. I'm just getting a taste of FF4 on PcLinuxOS LXDE on another computer.

Why did it bork? I plugged in a HP Laser Jet on USB and tried to print PDF calender from the Web...Java was gone??

Thanks for any pointers,
Joan in Reno

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment