Tuesday, April 26, 2011

[nslu2-linux] Re: Joao Miranda has Upslug trouble [Digest Number 2667]

 

Hi Mai!
Thank you for your reply and support! I did managed to solve the problem thanks to your previous suggestion! I'll make here a small description of the steps I took so someone else falling in the same situation could try the same solution.

As I said in my previous post, after several attempts to solve the problem (re-flashed my slug several times from NSLU2_V23R25.bin to NSLU2_V23R63.bin and Unslung 6.10 using upslug2 from a Linux session using a Knoppix CD, as well as the Windows Sercomm's utility), I decided to try your suggestion and flashed the slug with the Debian firmware (di-nslu2.bin). After the flash process finished, It didn't allowed me to log in using ssh and proceed with the Debian installation (I guess because of ip conflict and dhcp); after that, I immediately re-flashed again with Lynksys V23R63 and... bingo! my slug came back to live again, i.e., it finished the boot process normally with the usual little final beep.

The funny part of the story is that during this mini-drama, searching for a solution, I realized how much you're right about the advantages of going debian (well, compared with Unslung); so I re-flashed once again the slug with the debian firmware and I'm now a brand-new-linux-newbie trying furiously to setup my webserver, cups, etc.

Once again - thanks for your support and hints!
Joao

--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mai Kee Reis <maik_nospam_reiss@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Joao,
>
> sorry for being late - I tried to find your posting on my hard disk, but
> missed it multiple times because the not so wisely choosen "Subj:" line ;-)
>
> > __________________________________________________________
> > 2a. Re: Digest Number 2665
> > Posted by: "jmir_po" j-mir@... jmir_po
> > Date: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:08 pm ((PDT))
> >
> >
> > [...]
> > Still, I don't want to give up (yet) the idea of restoring the slug, specially because I am not totally sure about the mistake that caused the problem...
> > [...]
> >
> Okay, that's the prefered way, all Linux users shall think!
> ;-)
>
> > [...]
> > So, if you have a spare moment, please, look at the list of the attempts I made to restore it and tell me is there any other method I could try?
> > [...]
> >
> I'm afraid, the problem on my side is not only the lack of spare time.
> It's more the lack of knowledge :-(
> My spare time is also my rare time.
> > [...]
> > upslug2 --target="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" --image="NSLU2_V23R63.bin"
> >
> > I get an error message from linux stating that system doesn't recognize that file or folder; obviously I need to find out how to tell linux where the firmware is... Is there a command for that?
> > [...]
> >
> Did you mentioned to give a full path to --image ?
> upslug2 --target="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" --image="/home/joao/NSLU2_V23R63.bin"
> I don't know upsulg from Linux, so I't only *guessed*.
> I always used the hard-to-find Windows tool
> "SercommFirmwareUpdater_Upgrade_207_XP.zip" or "Upgrade_207_XP.exe"- at
> least this are the names it has recently on my hard disk.
> > [...]
> > (the slug is connected to my laptop through an ethernet cable; the laptop is connected to my router (Thomson TG784) using a network cable as well)
> > [...]
> >
> I prefered to use a crossover cable and temporarily manually assigned IP
> addresses an the PC. In times one can't find the crossover cable (lent
> to brother or classmate? Or dropped behind the bookshelf?), such
> adaptors are handy:
> <http://www.angledcables.com/ethernet-crossover-adapter--rj.html>.
> Bought mine at Pearl.de, but it's common Chinese scrap, so it should be
> easy to get one. (Sorry to any Chinese people! Ranting about your low
> budget electric products is a genetic defect on my side. I can't
> withstand this).
>
> HTH,
> Mai Kee
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment