Friday, April 15, 2011

[nslu2-linux] Re: Digest Number 2665

 



Hi Mai!
Many thanks for your feedback and the information! You're right: my troubles with the slug are an opportunity to try out something new and more solid then unslung. I'll follow your suggestion about trying SlugOs and maybe later the Debian version (looked the link you sent about Martin Michlmayr's site and it sounds interesting, lot's of information for beginners like me...

Still, I don't want to give up (yet) the idea of restoring the slug, specially because I am not totally sure about the mistake that caused the problem... So, if you have a spare moment, please, look at the list of the attempts I made to restore it and tell me is there any other method I could try?

For some silly reason I wasn't able to reproduce successfully the how-to 'UpSlug2' (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2) and manually reflash the slug: I manage to install upslug2 (on a linux session using Knoppix) and then it recognizes the slug (which is in upgrade mode); yet, when I issue the command:

upslug2 --target="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" --image="NSLU2_V23R63.bin"

I get an error message from linux stating that system doesn't recognize that file or folder; obviously I need to find out how to tell linux where the firmware is... Is there a command for that?
(the slug is connected to my laptop through an ethernet cable; the laptop is connected to my router (Thomson TG784) using a network cable as well)

Once again, thank you for your feedback!
Joao Miranda

--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mai Kee Reis <maik_nospam_reiss@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend to flash SlugOS 5.x LE, before killing the device with
> EraseAll. Just need to note 2 things:
> 1) google "NSLU2 turnup" and follow this instructions
> 2) replace defective setup-optware.sh with the repaired version below
>
> A lot of things are going different with SlugOS, so misconfiguration of
> the unslung stuff my be bypassed. It is _not_ to hard for an experienced
> windows user to use this "bit more linux than unslung" system. Be
> courageous. Be cool. Learn a lot.
>
> Or you can try the more impressive way ... Martin Michlmayr's prepared
> "Debian for NSLU2" <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/>. Personally, I
> was a bit angry to use Debian on the Slug and the Plug. After 22 years
> of experience with CP/M, DOS, WIN, but only some hours Knoppix and some
> days of SlugOS 5.3/LE - I asked if this is the right experience to
> switch to a real Linux. ... then I used Debian for the 1st time ... Now
> I'm switching all my PCs, Laptops, Servers to Debian (except one Gaming
> PC). You can't get more dumb by trying it.
>
>
> fixed setup-optware.sh (you can copy&paste it to joe or nano or vi, but
> may need fix CR/LF to LF then):
> ___________________________
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if test 0 != `id -u`; then
> echo 'Please run as root'
> exit 1
> fi
>
> if test `uname -m` = armv5teb ; then
> optware_target=slugos5be
> else
> optware_target=slugos5le
> fi
>
> feed=http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/${optware_target}/cross/unstable
> latest_xsh=`wget -q -O- ${feed} | grep '\.xsh' | sed -e 's/.*xsh">//' -e
> 's/<.*//'`
>
> if test -n "${latest_xsh}"; then
> cd /tmp
> rm -f ${latest_xsh}
> wget ${feed}/${latest_xsh}
> sh ${latest_xsh}
> fi
> ___________________________
>
> > 1. Another Slug dead (itr doesn't boot..) -- any hint/suggestion very w
> > From: jmir_po
> >
> > [...]
> > So I'm running here out of ways to try to fix things. I recognize at this stage I feel tempted to try the infamous linksys EraseAll utility

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment