Monday, April 25, 2011

[nslu2-linux] spindown usbdrive doesn't work (DD-WRT v24-sp2, ackfire 10.03.1 [Digest Number 2667]

Hi ZakHooi,

does the scsi-start and scsi-stop command work, if manually executed on
you OS?

With my OS (SlugOS/LE 5.3) + ICY-BOX + WD10EACS, it does it's job, if
manually executed.
It is not invoking scsi-stop automatically, until I installed a cron
triggered perl or bash script which is analyzing /proc/hdparm (or such)
statistics.
But it is still not usable because kernel never invokes scsi-start (need
kernel patch). I don't know how to apply such kernel patch to SlugOS 5.3.
The source for my inspiration was the NSLU wiki, but finally, I was not
able to solve this an my own. My 4th box is a Sheeva, running Debian.
This baby is doing the spinup / spindown perfectly from scratch! With
the same model of ICY-BOX and WD10. So, now I'm planning to bring my
spare NSLU2 to Debian (Martin Michlmayr's "Squeeze" adoption). If this
runs well with spinup/down, I'll move my older NSLU2 boxes step by step
to Debian.

As a conclusion:
1) you'll need to check, if the basics are running (manual invocation).
Then you know if your hardware is supporting scsi spindown.
2) if _yes_, you'll next need to check, if the kernel and/or some pseudo
deamon (cron'ed perl script) is trying to do its job
3) if _no_ and you are not able to fix the shit, think about Debian.
Debian 5 is completely ready to run on NSLU2 from official Debian setup
CD. Debian 6 is avail at Martin.

Sorry for no better help, I'm also a bloody newbie since 3 years ;-)
Mai Kee

> ________________________________________________________________________
> 1. HELP:spindown usbdrive doesn't work (DD-WRT v24-sp2, ackfire 10.03.1
> Posted by: "ZakHooi" combegt@yahoo.com combegt
> Date: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:58 am ((PDT))
>
> [...]
> I have a NSLU2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2, ackfire 10.03.1-rc3,r22796 with attached a USB drive Samsung HD103UL.
> My problem is it doesn't get into sleepmode
> [...]
> scsi-stop
> [...]
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
nslu2-linux-digest@yahoogroups.com
nslu2-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
nslu2-linux-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment