Monday, April 4, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Advice needed: /sbin/init...gone?==Solved!!

 

I tried the latest Puppy LuPu-525 and without using the command line it repaired my sick Ubuntu 10.10, which after updating I am typing this reply. You have got to put Puppy in your repair kit!!
Thanks for letting me try my own repair, hopefully I'll help someone else in my aforementioned pickle of a situation. Heaven knows it was faster and easier than Windows or OpenSuse!!
Joan in Reno

--- On Mon, 4/4/11, Joan Leach <jleach728@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: Joan Leach <jleach728@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Advice needed: /sbin/init...gone?
To: linux_newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 2:04 AM

 

The Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD, which Edbuntu drive tool, said the volume had not shut down clean. How I wish Ubuntu could repair itself easily, or at least displayed info completely on startup and shutdown.

I was able to mount the hard drive with a Puppy LUPU Live CD and saw that indeed /sbin/init and some other files in the /sbin folder showed an ICON that looked like a puzzle piece, some had a short-cut arrow, but some didn't. The umount.hal had a orange triangle with a "!" Was that normal?

Should I try a repair using Puppy to see the mounted hard disk and another Ubuntu CD in another DVD drive and copy the files? Or should I back-up the almost 300 GB to another HD on USB, and start over? Next time, I put Xmarks on Chromium, too, I'm slow to try new things, but I have to agree it's faster than the 3x Firefox. I'm just getting a taste of FF4 on PcLinuxOS LXDE on another computer.

Why did it bork? I plugged in a HP Laser Jet on USB and tried to print PDF calender from the Web...Java was gone??

Thanks for any pointers,

Joan in Reno

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment