Monday, April 25, 2011

[nslu2-linux] Joao Miranda has Upslug trouble [Digest Number 2667]

Hi Joao,

sorry for being late - I tried to find your posting on my hard disk, but
missed it multiple times because the not so wisely choosen "Subj:" line ;-)

> ________________________________________________________________________
> 2a. Re: Digest Number 2665
> Posted by: "jmir_po" j-mir@sapo.pt jmir_po
> Date: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:08 pm ((PDT))
>
>
> [...]
> Still, I don't want to give up (yet) the idea of restoring the slug, specially because I am not totally sure about the mistake that caused the problem...
> [...]
>
Okay, that's the prefered way, all Linux users shall think!
;-)

> [...]
> So, if you have a spare moment, please, look at the list of the attempts I made to restore it and tell me is there any other method I could try?
> [...]
>
I'm afraid, the problem on my side is not only the lack of spare time.
It's more the lack of knowledge :-(
My spare time is also my rare time.
> [...]
> upslug2 --target="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" --image="NSLU2_V23R63.bin"
>
> I get an error message from linux stating that system doesn't recognize that file or folder; obviously I need to find out how to tell linux where the firmware is... Is there a command for that?
> [...]
>
Did you mentioned to give a full path to --image ?
upslug2 --target="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" --image="/home/joao/NSLU2_V23R63.bin"
I don't know upsulg from Linux, so I't only *guessed*.
I always used the hard-to-find Windows tool
"SercommFirmwareUpdater_Upgrade_207_XP.zip" or "Upgrade_207_XP.exe"- at
least this are the names it has recently on my hard disk.
> [...]
> (the slug is connected to my laptop through an ethernet cable; the laptop is connected to my router (Thomson TG784) using a network cable as well)
> [...]
>
I prefered to use a crossover cable and temporarily manually assigned IP
addresses an the PC. In times one can't find the crossover cable (lent
to brother or classmate? Or dropped behind the bookshelf?), such
adaptors are handy:
<http://www.angledcables.com/ethernet-crossover-adapter--rj.html>.
Bought mine at Pearl.de, but it's common Chinese scrap, so it should be
easy to get one. (Sorry to any Chinese people! Ranting about your low
budget electric products is a genetic defect on my side. I can't
withstand this).

HTH,
Mai Kee

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
nslu2-linux-digest@yahoogroups.com
nslu2-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
nslu2-linux-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment