Sunday, April 24, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Hello

 

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 01:27:50AM -0000, Thomas wrote:
> I have to admit that I am a Linux newbie, I am considering taking the plunge into a version on Linux (probably Ubuntu or mint 10). I am worried about three pieces of hardware. They are the WiFi (Intel Pro Wireless), the sound card (High Definition Audio Device) and the video (Intel GMA 950). If anyone has any experience using these devices with Linux, advice would be greatly appreciated before I make the jump.
>
> I am thinking of making the jump from windows 7 because I want an OS that is Open Source.
>

I would guess that Mint, and probably Ubuntu, will work with all of
these. You can always use a liveCD to test. Both Mint and Ubuntu will
run from CD. (You can also just burn it to a USB stick--there's a handy
tool, works in Windows, called unetbootin. You download the ISO file,
run unetbootin and it will burn a bootable copy of the CD to your USB
stick.

This is a relatively brief answer, if you need more help in
understanding a live CD, burning to a USB stick, or indeed, other
questions, please post again.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Buffy: Vampires are creeps.
Giles: Yes. That's why one slays them.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment