Thursday, April 21, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: why does the malware get past the anti-virus program

 

Rob,

I suggest you not use more than one Windows firewall on a given box at the same time--that can be counterproductive and rob performance. Nearly any of the third-party ones are superior to Microsoft's, however.

I suggest you examine various of the Linux environments to see which ones may be most workable rather than focusing so much on trying to duplicate the Windows 9.x look and feel. For example, you may find you like Enlightenment (some are fond of the new Bodhi Linux, which uses E as its GUI).

Finding yourself unable to appreciate the other GUIs because of being unwilling to leave your comfort zone is unfortunate. Most, if not all, have things they do in a superior fashion.

Fortunately, you can have multiple GUIs and switch among them with a simple logoff/logon. That way, you can use the code base you prefer beneath them and get the advantage of security updates and such as well as a huge selection of programs.

For example, I have all the necessary libraries and GUI code to support KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, LXDE, XFCE, and one or two more that escape me at the moment. That means I can run any of the applications designed for any of these at will, even while using another GUI entirely in most cases.

That kind of flexibility pays off, too, in making it easy to evaluate new software applications--often leading to superior solutions to what you may have been accustomed to.

Obviously, the setup I have is not for everyone--but that's the beauty of Linux. At the same time, giving enough time to become accustomed to a new GUI so that you can honestly evaluate its plus and minus factors is often a win--and trying to duplicate what you have known in the past is often a path to frustration.

As it stands, what I use on my laptop is also quite different from what I prefer on our netbook. Fortunately, we don't live in a "one size fits all" world--Microsoft and Apple to the contrary!

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <sun408b@...> wrote:

>
> hummmm I need to up my security I use zone-alarm on one of my systems amd other windows firewall.
>
> My computer is old and on its way out .I was thinking of building a new computer and getting Trinity Desktop Environment or getting fedora or EDE that look and feel like windows 98.
>
> Some say Trinity Desktop Environment and EDE is old and on its way out .
>
> I think IceWM ,EDE and Trinity DE are older and Legacy and you may have problems with capability issues,bugs and security has they are not mainstream use now and may not be support for updates.
>
> But I'im looking for one that looks like windows 9.x .
>
> Never like windows 7 or windows vista look and feel.And windows XP okay but not like windows 9.x
>
> I gusess everyone has there own GUI they like.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment