Thursday, May 29, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu 12.10 Slooooow Acer Aspire Atom w/ 2GB

 

Hi Roy,

You wrote:

Ubuntu is the biggest and most popular by far, but it is not necessarily the best for everyone. It uses its own desktop manager (Unity) and it tries to be the most which means unfortunately the specs required to run it have gone up over the years. However, remember that there are no guarantees that your older hardware will work with Windows' new variants either. They too have upped the ante in order to compete.

No kidding! That's one of my considerations that
got me into trying Linux! My old netbook that was
on Windows XP fails the Windows 8 online test, I
don't know of anyone that liked Vista, and we're
going to Windows 7 where I work (so far, one it's
bad enough to keep me peeved at Microsoft).

... choice. Unity, GNOME Shell, Cinnamon, Mate and KDE. All take similar resources but they are vastly different in how they use them and how they look and feel.

When I started on this path, I had been told Mint
with the Mate interface was a good bet. So far, so
good; it isn't very fast but not worse than XP (and,
of course, I lot better than a windows version that
won't work).

Since this is all an experiment, I'm doing OK. One
feature that has been an eye-opener is that MInt
with Mate posts a popup notice whenever a WiFi
drops me--I'm seeing how poor some are and, of
course, why I had such a bad time just trying to
download the .iso.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Gene C. Falck" <gfalck@merr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment