Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu 14.04-no DVD video

 

I am not sure what your problem is. VLC in Windows uses Windows codecs and VLC in Linux uses it own Linux codecs. The fact that one works in one and not in the other only tells you that it is not the drive, but the application. VLC does not use Linux codecs. It comes with its own. So my guess is that it is the VLC application.

If this was my computer, I would completely remove the application using Synaptic or the commandline. Using the Software Centre won't do. It is not enough to remove the application. I would need to get rid of the settings, too. Then I would clear the cached copy of VLC using the commandline. I don't think it can be done any other way. If I did not clear the cache then it would simply re-install what is already cached instead of getting a fresh copy. None of this is particularly difficult. You can just copy and paste the commands into a terminal.

There are other potential problems. I would check that the drive works with other applications, such as K3b or similar burner and other video applications like Totem, Kaffeine or Parole. There could be a driver problem that would need sorting out.

If another video player works with your CD player then it would tell you that the Linux kernel driver is fine and so are the Linux codecs. That would point to VLC once again.

I have used VLC since it came out on many computers in both Linux and Windows and never encountered a problem. So do not let this bad experience deter you.

Roy


On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:33:57 AM, "'Gene Henley' mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

A funny thing happened to me on the way to using VLC in Ubuntu 14.04. Most of my computers are dual boot.
So, I can use some apps in Windows that are not in Ubuntu. I notice that my optical DVD`s will not show video.
I`ve tried them in Windows. No problem. In Ubuntu,in spite of trying different optical drives, Ubuntu and DVD
video do not work together. No problem with audio.
 So, I went to Google. What do you know? I quit checking after I found many questions,but no answers except
 using Terminal. I don`t do Terminal,either in my Macs or in Ubuntu. There has to be a better way which also
 does not include buying a paid app. Should there be a solution in software download updates,I welcome them.
 I`ve had a bunch of fun spending hrs. trying,but will use my Windows OS for VLC until a non-Terminal or free
 app. solution is found. Suggestions?
                                             Many thanks
                                                     Gene Henley 



This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.



__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment