Tuesday, November 24, 2009

[Java] Re: Java for Self Training

 

I personally believe you should use an IDE. Doing things from the command line will not teach you Java which is your stated purpose. I found Netbeans much easier to set up and learn for a newbie.

Loyal

--- In Java_Official@yahoogroups.com, "Haridhar Srivatsa K" <sachindevotee@...> wrote:
>
> Sir,
> Addressing you all -trickten, matt_j_harris, loyal_barber- three gentlemen
>
> Thanks for your very useful and precious suggestions. The books & references you suggested are useful and precious, as well-although I am yet go through them.
>
> If you don't feel that I am repeating my query, I would like to ask one thing. For a beginner like me, which is better 'command line' or IDE to start with? If IDE, which is 'the' best IDE among those available today?
>
> Thank you, sir.
>
> Haridhar Srivatsa
>
> --- In Java_Official@yahoogroups.com, Matt Harris <matt_j_harris@> wrote:
> >
> > trickten wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am new to Java as well.
> > >
> > > I'll give you the suggestions I was given.
> > >
> > > First download the Eclipse IDE. It's the best Java editor from what I hear. (www.eclipse.org)
> > >
> > > Second was to go to Sun's website and start at the beginning. It'll not only tell you where you need to start, but what to download (with the associated links).
> > >
> > > Personally I also go to programmers heaven to download add'l code to play with, a forum, etc. (http://www.programmersheaven.com/tags/Java/)
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Alex
> > >
> > > --- In Java_Official@yahoogroups.com, "Haridhar Srivatsa K" <sachindevotee@> wrote:
> > >
> > >> Hello,
> > >> I just joined this high profile group and it gives me an immense pleasure to be a member of this group. This is my first post. Before you go through the message I want to tell you that I am novice to Java and I don't even have basic knowledge in Java.
> > >>
> > >> 1. What is difference between Core Java and Advanced Java?
> > >>
> > >> 2. Do I need to undergo traning in C, C++ before going for Java.I had very basic training in C, C++ in 2001-02.
> > >>
> > >> 3. I wish to download Java on to my computer (Windows Vista Business) and improve my programming skills. Can you, please, provide me complete information which version of Java is best for a novice like me and where to download it from, how to install, how to start programming. Which book will you recommend to have self-training- right from very basics- and practice.
> > >>
> > >> Pl provide me every thing in detail.
> > >>
> > >> Thanks in advance
> > >>
> > >> -Haridhar Srivatsa
> > I just started learning Java a little over a month (maybe 2) ago.
> >
> > I considered starting from the command-line, but I really do prefer
> > IDEs. After a trying out Eclipse and Netbeans, I went with Netbeans as
> > I liked the GUI Builder.
> >
> > I'd recommend the following, but YMMV applies:
> >
> > 1) Go here http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp . Download
> > "JDK 6 Update 17 with NetBeans 6.7.1." Also download "Java SE 6
> > Documentation"
> > I'd make sure that use pick the correct JDK (32 or 64 bit).
> >
> > 2) Start running through the Java Tutorials website:
> > Really Big Index:
> > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html
> > Front Page: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html
> >
> > 3) I also read some books:
> > Java For Dummies (mostly worthless)
> > Java For Dummies All In One Desk Reference (much better)
> > Core Java Volumes I & II (Excellent)
> > Java How to Program, 8/e was a textbook and really dense. Not what
> > I was looking for but might be useful
> >
> > --
> > Matt Harris
> > matt_j_harris@
> > www.launchpadzero.net
> > ICQ: 1656005
> >
>

__._,_.___
Visit http://aiaiai.com or http://jgame.org for more groups to join.
Java Official Group is created for the following topics: Java 2 Enterprise Edition - J2EE, Java 2 Standard Edition - J2SE, Java 2 Micro Edition - J2ME, XML, XSL, XSD, XPATH, Web Services, Jini, JXTA for all type of Java Geeks.
Whoever posts spam / ads / job related message will be BANNED IMMEDIATELY
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment