Sunday, November 29, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies]

 

using dd fill your harddrive with 0. That could be one of the best way I think.

Thanks

________________________________
From: Glenn Sheppard <glenn596658@yahoo.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, November 29, 2009 9:07:10 AM
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies]

--- On Fri, 11/27/09, Roy <linuxcanuck@ gmail.com> wrote:

From: Roy <linuxcanuck@ gmail.com>
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies]
To: LINUX_Newbies@ yahoogroups. com
Received: Friday, November 27, 2009, 5:27 AM

I have some old hard drives to get rid of but first want to wipe them

clean. I keep on hearing reports of them ending up in Africa where data

mining and identity theft is occurring. What is the best way to go about

this with Linux?

Roy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Since I have heard so many horror stories about old hard drives and personal data I "wipe" all my old hard drives by taking them to my workshop and wiping them with a hammer and then throwing them in the trash! I purchased a used hard drive from a computer second hand store once and it wasn't even formatted! I installed it and all the previous users programs and data were still there for anyone to see. I immediately reformatted the drive and installed my OS (PCLinuxOS) but personally I will not let any drive that I have used be resold. It's not worth risking your hard earned money and your credit rating for a few dollars.

____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now
http://ca.toolbar. yahoo.com.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment