Monday, November 30, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies]

 

The Ubuntu repository has something called "secure-delete" that is supposed to be able to handle that...

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 09:42, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> > Thanks to all the disks are wiped. Some of these techniques take time....
> > lots of time.
>
> You're welcome :)
>
> FWIW, when I turned in my ThinkPad back in April when I left IBM, I
> did a high level wipe on the hard disk before handing it over. It
> took almost 24 hours to do a 120GB drive...
>
> Also did it on a 500GB disk prior to that and it took several days to
> complete (that one I just did for fun to see how long it would take,
> back when I was playing with different disk wiping tools)
>
> Now, for EVERYONE ELSE...
>
> That just made me think... what utilities exist for securely wiping
> individual FILES from a hard disk. Something like a Secure Delete
> that overwrites the blocks for an individual file with several passes
> of random data.
>
> Just something I was thinking about, and admittedly, I haven't really
> researched it myself.
>
> Cheers
> Jeff
>
>
> --
>
> Joan Crawford - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
> Everything I earn, I spend." -
> http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html
>

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment