Monday, November 30, 2009

Re: [Java] New Member, old coding heritage...

 

Thanks, Java Guy,

I was afraid of that.

I think I'm too set in my ways; I've long regarded OOP as a 'black-box' approach to scoping of variables and separating code from data. I expect this view is wrong, but it does seem little more than an exercise in semantics and mindset-adjustment.

Just to fill-in a little more of my coding history, I learned Z80 assembler in the early 1980's, and moved on to BASIC and then C in the early 1990's, always as a hobbyist. I have never programmed for a living, but have made several software tools to support my main hobby of amateur radio construction. My last programs were written in 1996. I had hoped to drag my game kicking and squealing into the present millenium with a 'modern' language, and Java appears adequate (easily ported, lots of plug-ins), I only hope I'm able to learn it before the wetware starts rotting too far.

I'll soldier on with the Sun Tutorial series (I agree; they've done a nice job), but just this weekend I felt somewhat down-hearted, and even found myself trying to get my old Borland Turbo C 4.5 IDE running under Wine on my netbook. Now that's _desperation_.

Pete Morris

________________________________
From: Java Guy <javaguy@midnightmusic.net>
To: Java_Official@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, 29 November, 2009 17:39:43
Subject: Re: [Java] New Member, old coding heritage...

Pete,

Coming from C, you really have 2 concepts to learn, not one. First, Java
is an Object-Oriented language, so you need to learn OOP
(Object-Oriented Programming).

<snip>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Visit http://aiaiai.com or http://jgame.org for more groups to join.
Java Official Group is created for the following topics: Java 2 Enterprise Edition - J2EE, Java 2 Standard Edition - J2SE, Java 2 Micro Edition - J2ME, XML, XSL, XSD, XPATH, Web Services, Jini, JXTA for all type of Java Geeks.
Whoever posts spam / ads / job related message will be BANNED IMMEDIATELY
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment