Monday, November 30, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies]

 

If that were adequate, the government standard would not call for overwriting every sector multiple times.

A single overwrite is not sufficient against sophisticated techniques. Multiple overwrites, using multiple characters, is required to be completely sure.

I was in a warehouse owned by a disk drive manufacturer many years ago when they got back the drives the government had leased---completely disassembled and the disks from many drives scattered, making physical reconstruction of indivdividual drives practically impossible. That was after having wiped them with secure erasure techniques involving seven separate overwrites.

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Mr.Jagadeesh Malakannavar" <mn_jagadeesh@...> wrote:
>
> using dd fill your harddrive with 0. That could be one of the best way I think.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Glenn Sheppard <glenn596658@...>
> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sun, November 29, 2009 9:07:10 AM
> Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies]
>
>
>
>
> --- On Fri, 11/27/09, Roy <linuxcanuck@ gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From: Roy <linuxcanuck@ gmail.com>
> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies]
> To: LINUX_Newbies@ yahoogroups. com
> Received: Friday, November 27, 2009, 5:27 AM
>
>
>
> I have some old hard drives to get rid of but first want to wipe them
>
> clean. I keep on hearing reports of them ending up in Africa where data
>
> mining and identity theft is occurring. What is the best way to go about
>
> this with Linux?
>
> Roy
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> Since I have heard so many horror stories about old hard drives and personal data I "wipe" all my old hard drives by taking them to my workshop and wiping them with a hammer and then throwing them in the trash! I purchased a used hard drive from a computer second hand store once and it wasn't even formatted! I installed it and all the previous users programs and data were still there for anyone to see. I immediately reformatted the drive and installed my OS (PCLinuxOS) but personally I will not let any drive that I have used be resold. It's not worth risking your hard earned money and your credit rating for a few dollars.
>
> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
> Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now
> http://ca.toolbar. yahoo.com.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment