Sunday, November 29, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: New Member

 

see below

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "rkzbos" <jackrossini@...> wrote:
>
> Hello: I am new to this group and glad to join.
>
> I've been learning UNIX from a book called UNIX for Dummies. I am able to practice it on a Unix server when I go online by using a program called Putty in a XP operating system.
>
> I understand that I could run Unix under a Linux operating system. What I want to do is change my XP operating system to a Linux operating system.

Not exactly. Linux and Unix are pretty close to the same. Unix
was invented at Bell Labs in the 70s as I remember. For the most
part Unix has always been a "for pay" OS. There are many flavors
such as AIX, HPUX, Solaris etc.

In the early 90s, along came a guy named Linus Torvolds with a
dream to create an operating system kernel that could be used to
make a Unix-like OS that we now collectively know as Linux. The
biggest difference is Linus wanted the kernel and source code to
be free and open.

Yes, guys I know this is oversimplified.

From some 20+ years in computing I have found that everything I learned in Unix was applicable to Linux. In Linux I found some
things that are not available in Unix, but as these tools become
more common, they show up in Unix eventually.
>
> How do I go about doing this?
>
> Where can I get a Linux OS disk?
>
> Thank you,
> Jack R.
>

If you can download a 700 MB file and burn your own CDs, you can
create your own Linux disks.

My suggestion would be to try out the new Linux Mint. You can do
several things with it you cannot with some other distributions:
1. Run it from the CD without doing anything to your current hard
disk. This is called a live CD and is available in many distros
but not all.
2. Install a test Linux Mint unders Windows. Mint shares this with
another good distro called Ubuntu.
3. Install Linux Mint alongside Windows without having to understand
a bunch of technical stuff you can learn later. In this way you
can make the transition over time. Eventually you will figure out
you never boot windoze any more so you will wipe it from your
machine.

Mint is probably the easiest transition from Windows, yet it is
very much Linux. The biggest difference you will see versus
windoze is that you do not have to load 20 drivers every time you
install. There is a free CD burning software package for windoze
called deepburner you can use to burn the iso. Download the ISO,
open deepburner, select burn ISO, select the ISO file, then burn
like the wind. When you restart your computer, start from the CD
if you want to run the Live CD or install. If you want to try the
"under windows" version, just reinsert the CD with windoze running.

Loyal

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment