Sunday, November 29, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies]

I've heard the hammer technique works well. As does the drill technique. I
hope that if I erase them that someone can use them. They are in the 40 GB
range so not completely useless.

Roy

2009/11/28 Glenn Sheppard <glenn596658@yahoo.com>

>
>
>
>
> --- On Fri, 11/27/09, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com <linuxcanuck%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
> From: Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com <linuxcanuck%40gmail.com>>
> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies]
>
> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>
> Received: Friday, November 27, 2009, 5:27 AM
>
>
>
>
> I have some old hard drives to get rid of but first want to wipe them
>
> clean. I keep on hearing reports of them ending up in Africa where data
>
> mining and identity theft is occurring. What is the best way to go about
>
> this with Linux?
>
> Roy
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> Since I have heard so many horror stories about old hard drives and
> personal data I "wipe" all my old hard drives by taking them to my workshop
> and wiping them with a hammer and then throwing them in the trash! I
> purchased a used hard drive from a computer second hand store once and it
> wasn't even formatted! I installed it and all the previous users programs
> and data were still there for anyone to see. I immediately reformatted the
> drive and installed my OS (PCLinuxOS) but personally I will not let any
> drive that I have used be resold. It's not worth risking your hard earned
> money and your credit rating for a few dollars.
>
> __________________________________________________________
> Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark your
> favourite sites. Download it now
> http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment