Sunday, September 19, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Fedora 12 update error report...help!!

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:
>
> I've been building out this Tyan Tiger i7501 (S2723) dual-Xeon 2.8
> MHz server board and thought I'd try Fedora after Ubuntu,
> Mint, OpenSuse gave me a few challenges.  True, the CD on Ubuntu
> may be wearing out it died at 78%, even after I switched Cat5 cable
> and video card.  Anyway, what can I do, it's been years since I
> tried Fedora/Red Hat?
>
> I was surprised Linux tells me I have 4 cores, but not 64-bit, is
> that why I have these hiccups from Linux? 

The number one reason Linux says it is not 64 bit is that particular
socket is for 32 bit Xeon processors. I rebuilt a similar system
with 2.8 Xeons and it was 32 bit. This could be the entire problem.
The 604/603 pin socked was created in 2002 which was way before 64
bit Xeons.

><snip>

Loyal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment