Thursday, September 30, 2010

[nslu2-linux] Re: Rtorrent on WebOS

 

Oh and I found my answer:
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/943

Actually the Pre's Internal memory is VFAT... Therefor prealloc of memory is essential for the filesystem... nothing I can do there
expect maybe use the work-around suggested (complicated!), or maybee lower app priority... If you think of something don't hesitate to reply!

--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "alphacool13" <alphacool13@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the answer! I was thinking about that already...
> I'll look into config file again (Already looked a bit, could not find...), and will try rebuilding (Might be hard to build on WebOS, never tried on an embedded platform).
>
> As for the purpose of this experiment, it is mainly for Science :).
>
> I actually found myself with a defective(Slider problems, phone shuts down when moving it too hard), out-of-warranty, Pre. So instead of repairing, I thought that I could use the device as a small, free and fanless linux box and it is for the most part working out real well! And best of all, I can take it anywhere where there is wifi, start it and use it for all kinds of useful stuff :).
>
>
> I'll look into your suggestion, thanks for the help!
>
> Guillaume
>
>
>
>
>
> --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "cbm128" <cbm128@> wrote:
> >
> > > I installed Rtorrent (following the procedure described here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/RTorrent) on my rooted pre.
> > > It works, but when loading a torrent, the phone freeze for 3-5 minutes before starting the torrent (even the shell becomes unresponsive).
> >
> > Could it be that it is allocating the storage for the object you are downloading?
> > I know that some binary versions of rtorrent do preallocate space before triyng to download (slow startup)
> > While others do sparse allocation of the files and only allocate the segments they are currently downloading (you get a painfully fragmented filesystem)
> > I do not remember if this is something configurable at run-time or only at build time, check the doc.
> > Besides that ususally the initialization is quite resource hungry, on my debianized sheevaplug it freezes for a few seconds (depending on object sie), maybe on a mobile device it is not that quick.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Max
> >
> >
> > P.S. what's the point in using a mobile phone to dload stuff over bittorrent (aside from the nice technical exercise ;-)
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment