Thursday, September 9, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Thanks guys, form. "Fresh Install and Potential Hazards w/ VBox"

 

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 05:43:04PM -0000, Darksyde wrote:
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:02:44AM -0000, Darksyde wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > ls ~/.VirtualBox/Machines
> *Yep, found it, and continued until I found the .vdi file. Woo-hoo! Of course I pasted the file to my drive, newbishly, rather than use "cp" but I'll eventually get around to learning BASH. I've been thinking a bit about ordering the "Linux Cheat Shirt" from ThinkGeek.
>

Sorry about the misinformation, (see the followups from Roy and myself).

> > had to change some permissions on /sys/bus/usb/drivers and then mount it
> > on none, so if I type the mount command without anything else--that is,
> > if I type mount I will see
> >
> > none on /sys/bus/usb/drivers type usbfs (rw devgid=503 devmode=664)
> >
> > The devgid is for the vboxusers group.
> *Thanks for that info as well, Scott, and I'll probably need to address that situation at some point soon. Main prob solved though, thanks to you and Roy. Of course I still have to give it a test run, which I'll do on my other computer first, but I wanted to say "merci beaucoup" to you guys first.
>

C'est rien. :)

> *Yeah, or don't make. Of course, Linux is a community project and I guess we can't expect coders to port everything unless they feel that there's a strong desire for it. And we can't expect corporations to bother to release codecs when they are getting funded (or threatened?) by MS. However, isn't it strange that Linux-friendly Amazon doesn't have a Linux version of Kindle Reader? That one really has me baffled!
>

Actually, it's not so peculiar--it has to do with DRM that the
publishers (I think), insist upon having. There are various solutions,
but as far as I know, they require access to a Kindle to get the
original. :) If you google around for amazon kindle linux drm, you
will see some of the arguments for and against.

> Apple, too, shoots itself in the foot,
> > but as an Onion satirical film clip had one of its people say, its user
> > base will "....buy *anything* from Apple as long as it's shiny and
> > expensive." :)
> *Love that Apple "satire"...seems true though. I've never used one but I can't imagine why anyone would unless the only competition was MS.
>

It was one stating that Apple was producing a computer with no mouse and
keyboard, only an ipod like wheel--full of statements like, "You're only
a few hundred clicks from anywhere on the system." What was frightening
was how many Linux fanboys, some with English as their first language,
assumed it was true. However, most weren't from America--we explained
to them that the end scene, where a female newscaster, dressed in a
power jacket/skirt combo said, At work people have to do work, rather
than just d*ck around, was not something that you are likely to see on
American news.

One reason to buy it, and why I did--I didn't want to support Linux for
my wife, when every problem would translate to how I'm stupid about
computers and that's why we have no money (I'm in the IT profession),
and she is the type who will click on anything. :) So, it was a good,
albeit expensive compromise. I also got her a netbook, where I
installed Ubuntu, but she only uses it for relatively basic things, so
it was easy to set up--the only esoteric need she has is Japanese input,
which I actually find easier to do in most versions of Linux than in
Windows (though not Mac, which was always the best at Asian input in my
experience.)

> At the risk of being redundant again, <g> thanks to you and Roy for your help.
> Mark

You're more than welcome, (and in this case, I think it's safe to speak
for Roy, one of the staunchest Linux advocates on the list, as well as
speaking for myself.) :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Xander: And this...is called a snack food.
Ampata: Snack food?
Xander: Yeah. It's a delicious, spongy, golden cake stuffed with a
delightful,
creamy white substance of goodness.

Xander: And the exciting part is that they have no ingredients that a
human
can pronounce, so it doesn't leave you with that heavy food feeling in
your
stomach.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment