Saturday, September 11, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Thanks guys, form. "Fresh Install and Potential Hazards w/ VBox"

 

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 14:08, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the misinformation, (see the followups from Roy and myself).

Man, I go off on vacation for a week and this is what happens? ;-)

>>   *Yeah, or don't make.  Of course, Linux is a community project and I guess we can't expect coders to port everything unless they feel that there's a strong desire for it.  And we can't expect corporations to
>> bother to release codecs when they are getting funded (or threatened?) by MS.  However, isn't it strange that Linux-friendly Amazon doesn't have a Linux version of Kindle Reader?  That one really has me
>> baffled!
>>
>
> Actually, it's not so peculiar--it has to do with DRM that the
> publishers (I think), insist upon having.  There are various solutions,
> but as far as I know, they require access to a Kindle to get the
> original.  :)  If you google around for amazon kindle linux drm, you
> will see some of the arguments for and against.

I think it was just Amazon trying to control things more than anything
else... same reason that the kindle doesn't support PDFs natively, but
does support an Amazon "Translated" version after you e-mail your pdf
to Amazon for them to automagically transmogrify and send it to your
kindle...

As far as DRM goes, I can't see that argument (though I'm not
necessarily calling BS either, I'm actually ignorant on the subject
from Amazon's POV) but the same books you get from Barnes and Noble
come in epub and are readable on anything that will read an epub file,
plus the nook supports PDF and other formats natively (as opposed to
being forced to send files to Amazon for conversion).

the epub support was one of the biggest reasons I bought a Nook
instead of a Kindle2. That and the Nook's add-on microSD slot.

>> Apple, too, shoots itself in the foot,
>> > but as an Onion satirical film clip had one of its people say, its user
>> > base will "....buy *anything* from Apple as long as it's shiny and
>> > expensive."    :)

Heh.. yes indeed. Reminds me of some of those Saturday Night Live
Steve Jobs skits ... introducing the iRack... it will store, 30 cans
of food...

>>   *Love that Apple "satire"...seems true though.  I've never used one but I can't imagine why anyone would unless the only competition was MS.

For all the apple love/hate apple does some things very well... such
as application integration (Linux distros/developers don't understand
what the meaning of the term integration is, though they are making
progress, finally) and really, if you are serious about photo/video
editing, Apple is the way to go (yes, I am aware of various programs
that run on Linux that do so, but I've yet to find one for photography
that works as well as Adobe Lightroom and photoshop (again,
integration)...

> One reason to buy it, and why I did--I didn't want to support Linux for
> my wife, when every problem would translate to how I'm stupid about
> computers and that's why we have no money (I'm in the IT profession),
> and she is the type who will click on anything. :)  So, it was a good,
> albeit expensive compromise.  I also got her a netbook, where I
> installed Ubuntu, but she only uses it for relatively basic things, so
> it was easy to set up--the only esoteric need she has is Japanese input,
> which I actually find easier to do in most versions of Linux than in
> Windows (though not Mac, which was always the best at Asian input in my
> experience.)

Heh... I bought my wife a Win7 laptop and told her "It's yours. I'm
NOT going to fix Windows for you... when it gets loaded up with
viruses because you click on all those stupid flash games and other
crap, I'll fix it by formatting and installing linux..."

>>   At the risk of being redundant again, <g> thanks to you and Roy for your help.
>>   Mark

I don't think you could ever redundantly say thanks to Scott and Roy,
really... they deserve all the thanks they can get.

Cheers,

Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment