Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Help removing Ubuntu 9.04

 

After you have removed the grub manager from the MBR, you can use a USB
drive with System Rescue CD installed on it to re-size the drive. it
includes a few utilities to manage partitions.

Here's a link to the main site: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Before you make any changes, though, the one, most important thing is to
take everything on your XP installation that you wish to keep and make a
backup. There are tons of utilities to do so, and many of them are free.

The XP backup utility works well if you're backing up your entire
profile (and wish to restore using XP), but if you want to be able to
restore to other operating systems, you'll need to use a third party
solution. Personally, I simply copy files to an external hard drive.

If everything is in the same place (My Documents) and you don't have
anything saved elsewhere you want to keep, then you can copy the
directory (C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\My Documents) to an
external drive. For full safety, I recommend backing up the entire
C:\Documents and Settings\ folder, as many hidden files and folders will
be there.

Septymus Spyder

On 9/28/2010 7:50 AM, Roy wrote:
> You will need your Windows CD to remove grub and restore the Windows boot
> manager to the MBR. Ubuntu will still be there, but in Windows you can
> format that partition with NTFS and remove Ubuntu. If you do not want a
> second partition then you will need a utility to delete the partition and
> enlarge your Windows one.
>
> see: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic74042.html
>
> Roy
>
>
>
> On 19 September 2010 15:46, rkzbos<jackrossini@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Hello, I am a Linux newbie and I need help removing Ubuntu 9.04 from my PC.
>>
>> My PC has XP, so one day I bought a Linux magazine that came with
>> a Live CD with Ubuntu 9.04. So I thought I would try installing it to then
>> have two operating systems on my PC.
>>
>> I searched all around and I can not find the exact instructions I need.
>> Which is removing Ubuntu 9.04 without messing up my other (XP) operation
>> system.
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>> Jack
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com& you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment