Monday, September 6, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Fresh Install and Potential Hazards w/ VBox

Unless you have a separate home partition (which is a good idea, BTW) you
need to move the vdi file from .VirtualBox/VDI to a large storage medium
such as an external hard drive or large usb key. Be careful as some file
formats can't handle large files like 8 GBs. Ext3 and EXT4 can, but I am not
sure about NTFS or FAT32 because I try not to use them. I don't trust them
and they are high maintenance for storage anyway. Then move the VDI file
called (WindowsXP.vdi or similar) back to the same location
(.VirtualBox/VDI) once VirtualBox is installed in your new Mint 9.

Start VirtualBox and create a NEW virtual machine called Windows XP (or
similar) but when it comes time to creating the drive you link to the old
vdi file and when this is done change your settings to the way that you
remember them (shared folder etc.). Then you should be able to boot into
your windows XP VDI.

Let us know how you make out.

Roy

On 5 September 2010 22:49, Darksyde <m_alexander61@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 05:44:27PM -0000, Darksyde wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > > My new setup will have VBox, a newer version than the old one which
> would not upgrade for some reason no matter what I tried. So, once I get the
> newer version installed, how do I get my XP machine loaded? To be more
> specific, I would like the XP machine as it is now so that I do not lose a
> specific app which I will be unable to replace. I created two folders on my
> external hd and synced "/usr/lib/virtualbox" to one and
> "/usr/share/virtualbox" to the other. One of the two syncs had an error msg.
> which I didn't bother to read in my ADD-prone nature. OK, so will I, most
> likely anyway, be able to move these directories to my new VBox or am I
> completely off base here?
> > > Any advice will, of course, be *greatly* appreciated!
> > > Mark
> > >
> >
> > I believe that all I did was copy over the vdi file (from
> > $HOME/.VirtualBox/HardDisks) and then chose to use it as a pre-existing
> > hard drive while creating the new machine. However, it was a long time
> > ago, and I'm not guaranteeing that.
> >
> > --
> > Scott Robbins
>
> Thanks, Scott. I guess we'll wait to see if anyone else replies. Meanwhile
> I think I'll try that on my Ubu computer and see what happens.
> M
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment