Thursday, September 9, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Fresh Install and Potential Hazards w/ VBox

My VDI files are not under .VirtualBox/Machines, but .VirtualBox/VDI. The
machines folder has only logs and settings. The actual VDIs are in the VDI
folder.

Here is how to set up a separate /home:

1) you need to do a custom or manual installation (last in the list of
choices)
2) you need two partitions ahead of time, one for home and one for root
3) you need to set the mount points as /home for home and / for root (Ubuntu
minus home); use right click on the partition in the graph and choose edit,
then use the drop down menus.
4) the first time, format each in the file format of choice (ext4 is a good
idea); on re-installing Ubuntu in the future you will NEVER format /home but
only /. This keeps your data and settings. BUT you must remember to always
do a custom installation!
5) proceed with installation as usual

Good luck!
Roy

On 9 September 2010 04:02, Darksyde <m_alexander61@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> Thanks, Roy! Well, first off, I DON'T have a separate home partition...I've
> heard about what a good idea it is, and plan to make it so with my new
> install, and could stand a bit of advice about doing that.
> However, more currently, my prob is that I can't find the .vdi file. When
> running VBox it gives the file name as
> ".VirtualBox/Machines/xp/Snapshots/{0f176c92-fb7d-4348-343c-f3a84546d0gd}.vdi"
> but I can't find the actual location on my hd. I'm not very BASH-literate of
> course, but I did a "whereis" and found a load of locations which causes me
> to infer that I'm not on the correct path. The period at the beginning of
> the file name indicates that it's hidden, right?
> Next (potential) issue...my external drive is NTFS. There's plenty of room
> left on it for the file, assuming I can find it, and I'm willing to give it
> a shot. Meanwhile I'm transferring files to my host via Dropbox. I was able
> to zip one app but I'm not really sure about doing so with a couple of
> others. It's not like the fate of the world depends upon it. I never could
> get the guest machine to recognize my USB's.
> Meanwhile, I must confess, I've committed the unpardonable sin...I ordered
> a fresh copy of XP (SP3, of course)to duel-boot until everything is running
> smoothly.
> OK, enough already!
> Thanks for the advice,
> Mark
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > Unless you have a separate home partition (which is a good idea, BTW) you
> > need to move the vdi file from .VirtualBox/VDI to a large storage medium
> > such as an external hard drive or large usb key. Be careful as some file
> > formats can't handle large files like 8 GBs. Ext3 and EXT4 can, but I am
> not
> > sure about NTFS or FAT32 because I try not to use them. I don't trust
> them
> > and they are high maintenance for storage anyway. Then move the VDI file
> > called (WindowsXP.vdi or similar) back to the same location
> > (.VirtualBox/VDI) once VirtualBox is installed in your new Mint 9.
> >
> > Start VirtualBox and create a NEW virtual machine called Windows XP (or
> > similar) but when it comes time to creating the drive you link to the old
> > vdi file and when this is done change your settings to the way that you
> > remember them (shared folder etc.). Then you should be able to boot into
> > your windows XP VDI.
> >
> > Let us know how you make out.
> >
> > Roy
> >
> > On 5 September 2010 22:49, Darksyde <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com><LINUX_Newbies%
> 40yahoogroups.com>,
>
> > > Scott <scottro@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 05:44:27PM -0000, Darksyde wrote:
> > > > > Hi all!
> > > > > My new setup will have VBox, a newer version than the old one which
> > > would not upgrade for some reason no matter what I tried. So, once I
> get the
> > > newer version installed, how do I get my XP machine loaded? To be more
> > > specific, I would like the XP machine as it is now so that I do not
> lose a
> > > specific app which I will be unable to replace. I created two folders
> on my
> > > external hd and synced "/usr/lib/virtualbox" to one and
> > > "/usr/share/virtualbox" to the other. One of the two syncs had an error
> msg.
> > > which I didn't bother to read in my ADD-prone nature. OK, so will I,
> most
> > > likely anyway, be able to move these directories to my new VBox or am I
> > > completely off base here?
> > > > > Any advice will, of course, be *greatly* appreciated!
> > > > > Mark
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > I believe that all I did was copy over the vdi file (from
> > > > $HOME/.VirtualBox/HardDisks) and then chose to use it as a
> pre-existing
> > > > hard drive while creating the new machine. However, it was a long
> time
> > > > ago, and I'm not guaranteeing that.
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Scott Robbins
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment