Thursday, September 9, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Thanks guys, form. "Fresh Install and Potential Hazards w/ VBox"

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:02:44AM -0000, Darksyde wrote:
>
>
>
> > However, more currently, my prob is that I can't find the .vdi file. When running VBox it gives the file name as ".VirtualBox/Machines/xp/Snapshots/{0f176c92-fb7d-4348-343c-f3a84546d0gd}.vdi" but I can't find the actual location on my hd. I'm not very BASH-literate of course, but I did a "whereis" and found a load of locations which causes me to infer that I'm not on the correct path. The period at the beginning of the file name indicates that it's hidden, right?
>
> That's correct. By default, if, in your home directory (directory is
> the Linux name for folder), you do ls .VirtualBox/Machines, you should
> see your vdi files. If not in your home directory, or unsure, just do
>
> ls ~/.VirtualBox/Machines
*Yep, found it, and continued until I found the .vdi file. Woo-hoo! Of course I pasted the file to my drive, newbishly, rather than use "cp" but I'll eventually get around to learning BASH. I've been thinking a bit about ordering the "Linux Cheat Shirt" from ThinkGeek.

> > Next (potential) issue...my external drive is NTFS. <snip>. I never could get the guest machine to recognize my USB's.
>
> The USB thing can be a nuisance, and isn't avaiable with the OSE (Open
> Source Edition) that any distribution might have in its repositories.
> If you google around for your distro's name, VirtualBox usb, you'll
> probably find a step by step. For instance, at some point, in CentOS, I
> had to change some permissions on /sys/bus/usb/drivers and then mount it
> on none, so if I type the mount command without anything else--that is,
> if I type mount I will see
>
> none on /sys/bus/usb/drivers type usbfs (rw devgid=503 devmode=664)
>
> The devgid is for the vboxusers group.
*Thanks for that info as well, Scott, and I'll probably need to address that situation at some point soon. Main prob solved though, thanks to you and Roy. Of course I still have to give it a test run, which I'll do on my other computer first, but I wanted to say "merci beaucoup" to you guys first.

>
> > Meanwhile, I must confess, I've committed the unpardonable sin...I ordered a fresh copy of XP (SP3, of course)to duel-boot until everything is running smoothly.
>
> It's not a sin till Linux stops shooting itself in the foot--
*Yeah, but I feel so dirty...ugh!

> one wonders if the Linux developers are paid by MS, with some of the
> fairly moronic decisions they make.
*Yeah, or don't make. Of course, Linux is a community project and I guess we can't expect coders to port everything unless they feel that there's a strong desire for it. And we can't expect corporations to bother to release codecs when they are getting funded (or threatened?) by MS. However, isn't it strange that Linux-friendly Amazon doesn't have a Linux version of Kindle Reader? That one really has me baffled!

Of course, MS shoots itself in the
> foot from time to time too, but it's so entrenched that it won't lose
> too many people when it does so.
*Damn straight it won't! That's why I feel so badly about supporting them yet again! Oh, well...at least I didn't pony up the bucks for 7, which may not have worked with my apps anyway. lol

Apple, too, shoots itself in the foot,
> but as an Onion satirical film clip had one of its people say, its user
> base will "....buy *anything* from Apple as long as it's shiny and
> expensive." :)
*Love that Apple "satire"...seems true though. I've never used one but I can't imagine why anyone would unless the only competition was MS.

At the risk of being redundant again, <g> thanks to you and Roy for your help.
Mark

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment