Thursday, September 9, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Fresh Install and Potential Hazards w/ VBox

 

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:02:44AM -0000, Darksyde wrote:

> However, more currently, my prob is that I can't find the .vdi file. When running VBox it gives the file name as ".VirtualBox/Machines/xp/Snapshots/{0f176c92-fb7d-4348-343c-f3a84546d0gd}.vdi" but I can't find the actual location on my hd. I'm not very BASH-literate of course, but I did a "whereis" and found a load of locations which causes me to infer that I'm not on the correct path. The period at the beginning of the file name indicates that it's hidden, right?

That's correct. By default, if, in your home directory (directory is
the Linux name for folder), you do ls .VirtualBox/Machines, you should
see your vdi files. If not in your home directory, or unsure, just do

ls ~/.VirtualBox/Machines

The ~ (tilde) is a shortcut for home directory. (It's also referred to
as $HOME--the $ and all uppercase indicates it's a variable. In Windows
it's usually done with %variable%).

> Next (potential) issue...my external drive is NTFS. There's plenty of room left on it for the file, assuming I can find it, and I'm willing to give it a shot. Meanwhile I'm transferring files to my host via Dropbox. I was able to zip one app but I'm not really sure about doing so with a couple of others. It's not like the fate of the world depends upon it. I never could get the guest machine to recognize my USB's.

The USB thing can be a nuisance, and isn't avaiable with the OSE (Open
Source Edition) that any distribution might have in its repositories.
If you google around for your distro's name, VirtualBox usb, you'll
probably find a step by step. For instance, at some point, in CentOS, I
had to change some permissions on /sys/bus/usb/drivers and then mount it
on none, so if I type the mount command without anything else--that is,
if I type

mount

I will see

none on /sys/bus/usb/drivers type usbfs (rw devgid=503 devmode=664)

The devgid is for the vboxusers group.

> Meanwhile, I must confess, I've committed the unpardonable sin...I ordered a fresh copy of XP (SP3, of course)to duel-boot until everything is running smoothly.

It's not a sin till Linux stops shooting itself in the foot--sometimes,
one wonders if the Linux developers are paid by MS, with some of the
fairly moronic decisions they make. Of course, MS shoots itself in the
foot from time to time too, but it's so entrenched that it won't lose
too many people when it does so. Apple, too, shoots itself in the foot,
but as an Onion satirical film clip had one of its people say, its user
base will "....buy *anything* from Apple as long as it's shiny and
expensive." :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Angelus: You know, I never properly thanked you for sending me to
Hell.
Buffy: No...
Angelus: I'm wondering, where do I start? A card, fruit basket,
hmm? Evisceration?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment