Sunday, November 28, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "rkzbos" <jackrossini@...> wrote:
>
> I am interested in learning and running Linux on my PC, but their are
> many choices to choose from when if comes to which Linux version or
> Distro to get.

That is a good thing and a curse in Linux. The good thing is you get
to try a lot of different distros if you want. The bad thing is
that for newcomers, the choices are overwhelming. distrowatch.com is
a great resource.

>
> To help narrow it down to my needs, I need a Linux OS for general
> use and that it doesn't causes me to up grade every 6 months.
> Can someone help explain to me or find information about the
> differences of the Linux Distros.
>
> rkzbos
>

First, no distribution *forces* anybody to upgrade every six months.
Ubuntu, the largest distribution in terms of the number of users
has a six month release cycle. Those distros such as Mint that are
based on Ubuntu also follow that cycle, usually a month or two
after Ubuntu. All of these releases last 18 months. Ubuntu also
has periodic long term support releases which last three years.
I personally use Mint and skip every other release. I had Windows
for years and found that I had to reformat my Windows drive about
once per year. Most users find that period to be about two years
so going with a distro for 18 months is not much different and
going with one for three years would just be greatness.

I am not a newbie yet I use Mint. Why? I just want it to work.
Out of the box so to speak it sets up everything on my laptop or
desktop with ease. Mint is based on Ubuntu so one might ask "why
not just use Ubuntu?" I find that Mint's interface is much better.
The software manager with Mint I think is far superior to the
one in Ubuntu. I don't have to search two different menus like
I do in Ubuntu to find what I want or need. Ubuntu/Mint uses what is
called ".deb" for doing software installs. The other major software
install system is called RPM. I find that ".deb" does a much better
job of of tracking down and adding dependencies than RPM.

You will get much advice regarding setting up a separate "home"
partition. I do this, but for first time users this is like talking
about nuclear physics until you get used to Linux. Your first time
out, I would just go with the install defaults set up by your
distro. Get used to Linux then you can move on to things such as
we as a group will suggest.

One warning: Microsoft teaches us that the way to find new software
is to hunt for it on the internet, download it, then install it.
This is one great way to get a virus!

Linux distros will come with a software center or package manager.
That is the way to get software. It is MUCH easier than the way
Windows works and when I use the package manager, I know the
software is tested by other users and found to be free of viruses
and trojans. In Windows I look all over the internet to find
software. In Linux, I go to an application on my local machine to
find and install. Linux is easier because someone else has done
the due diligence for me!

Try out Mint and see if you find it easy to use, I highly recommend
it. I have a post on here you can find where I explain "how to"
set up Linux for current Windows users. Let me know if that works
for you.

Regards,
Loyal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Be a homeroom hero ¿ help Yahoo! donate up to $350K to classrooms!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment