Friday, November 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Can't change graphic settings on Ubuntu 10.10 installed Dell...

That sounds a bit drastic and pessimistic. :)

I would try booting with a different graphics mode from grub. If that got me
in, it would likely look very good (vesa), but it would be workable. Then I
would try to install a graphics driver from Additional Drivers. If that did
not work (unusable) then I would try a console login from the login screen
(under shutdown). I would apt-get purge xserver-xorg and then re-install it.
If that did not work then I might try to be more specific and install
xserver-xorg-video-intel. I am shooting blanks because I have no experience
with that card or Dells. It is just the strategy that I would try.

If you are googling you can pretty much ignore any advice that tells you to
edit xorg.conf (and basically anything pre-Lucid). It is not used anymore
and you may compound your problems.

See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions


Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 26 November 2010 13:48, Joan Leach <jleach728@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>
> Hello,
>
> Trying to get this unit set up, but I think the Intel i915 VGA card is the
> problem. It's a Dell Insipiron 3000 Service Tag GXHXX81. First I tried
> Ubuntu 10.10 Live, then the latest Mint Live, but saw the same problem, I
> finally installed, but it won't allow a change since the question is below
> the click range of the mouse and no it won't scroll down, it appears to have
> two overlapped displays or x-windows.
>
> I hate to give away a VGA card, plus the computer, but I may have to, if no
> one has an answer.
>
> Thanks,
> Joan in Reno
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment