Sunday, November 28, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

 

That is too bad-
I have had nothing but success with 10.04.
Very stable, ubuntu and kubuntu both.
Installed on more than 5 different pc's.
D

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:
>
> See below.
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@> wrote:
> >
> > Choosing a distro is like finding a good pair of shoes.
> > Huge <snip>
>
> > You cannot skip versions.
>
> Yes you can. You just may not be able to use the "Upgrade" tool
> included with the distro to do your upgrade. I have not found
> these "upgrade" programs to be stable anyway. Here is my experience:
> I ran Ubuntu 9.04 until 10.04 LTS came out. At that point I used
> the included upgrade tool to go from 9.04 to 9.10. Everything worked
> great. Ran it a couple of days then did the 9.10 to 10.04 upgrade.
> Total disaster. The system would not even boot. Ended up having
> to install 10.04 clean. BTW there were problems there too but I
> get to those below.
>
>
> > You should know this up front. If
> > you want stability then install 10.04 and not 10.10.
> >
>
> I could not disagree with this statement more. In general, what he
> is saying is true. 10.04 is a long term support version so it should
> be viable for three years. My experience is that 10.04 is just a
> bad release. Canonical, the Ubuntu folks by committing to a six
> month release cycle have been notorious for putting out some
> really bad releases. 10.04 IMO is one of these. They tried to
> change a lot for 10.04 and the release has much to be desired in
> terms of functionality and stability. I believe they finally got
> it right with 10.10. When I did my clean install on 10.04 it again
> crapped out and would not boot. Not to be deterred, I tried
> installing it on a different machine a laptop. It took me three
> tries before I got it to work and then only because I used an
> external monitor on the laptop I was using. The new graphical
> welcome screen simply would not display on the internal laptop
> panel. On my desktop machine, I never found a way to get past this
> so I went with a Beta version of 10.10 which installed flawlessly.
> On my desktop where I use Ubuntu, I eventually re-installed the
> 10.10 final release. For me, 10.04 was just a flawed release and
> that is too bad since it is an LTS release. I highly recommend
> against using it or any distro based on it.
>
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > Roy
> >
> > Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
> > Location: Canada
> > <snip>
> <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > > "rkzbos" <jackrossini@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I am interested in learning and running Linux on my PC, but their are
> > > many choices to choose from when if comes to which Linux version or Distro
> > > to get.
> > > >
> > > > To help narrow it down to my needs, I need a Linux OS for general use and
> > > that it doesn't causes me to up grade every 6 months.
> > > > Can someone help explain to me or find information about the differences
> > > of the Linux Distros.
> > > >
> > > > rkzbos
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment