Sunday, November 21, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help with Ubuntu 9.04

 

Upgrade for all the latest serial port innovations?

If your serial port is running you are good to go with externals. I don't think there is a whole lot new going on with the interface, other than it getting phased out maybe.

$ dmesg | grep ttyS
[ 1.313222] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

I'd be surprised if there is anything new really going on at the dial up front today. But I'll have to be honest I haven't really been paying much attention to it lately.

Jack said they have an external US Robotics, I have one of those too and they work perfectly in Linux like all external modems. Windows has no magic for external modems. What you say may be true for some internals but not externals.

I have found some ISPs to be a bit problematic with Linux but that is another story.

Once you establish a dial up connection in Linux there are tweaks that can be done. Stuff like port speed or your MTU size. Modems also have AT & S commands that can be set. I don't remember it all today as it was a while ago for me but I do remember mucking about some. Strangely AT&F1 is coming back to me now. Man dial up that was like in another life!

Paul

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Richard Innes <unclerichard@...> wrote:
>
> Jack: It would porbably help yo upgrade to a later version of Ubuntu -
> 10.10.
>
> I have found moderns problematic with Linux and what I've discovered
> works most times it to have the modem connected and working before you
> start Ubuntu.
> All the install discs supplied by ISPs are Windows based and at worst
> you made need a Window machine to connect your modem.
> But first fire up the modem, when it s operational start up Ubunut.
> Once Ubuntu is working test the connection by firing up your browser. If
> this wortks don't muck around with setting or anything just accepts that
> it works.
> If no, in Ubuntu 10.10 there is in System/Administration Additional
> drivers. Run this and see if it helps.
> You may have better luck trying this with a 'live' dsisc rather than the
> Ubuntu install itself.
> In all matters computers Google is your friend - Good luck
>
> Richard I
>
> On 21/11/10 22:57, rkzbos wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I read through the Linux Newbie FAQ and could not find the help
> > I was looking for.
> >
> > I have Ubuntu 9.04 and I can not get it to find my external US Robotic
> > modem.
> >
> > What should I do?
> >
> > Thank you
> > jack
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment