Sunday, November 28, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

Loyal makes a good point about hunting for software, although viruses are
not the main Linux problem. Breakage is. Linux shares libraries and they
must be of the same generation because Linux has no registry to track
different versions. If you work outside of the repositories you are risking
destabilising and even breaking your system. So follow his advice and learn
the art of using a package manager. It is the best way to update and install
packages. As you gain experience then you can think outside the box a bit. I
would add to Loyal's point that it is best to forget about that other OS
entirely as skills are not transferable and Windows practises can even get
you into trouble.

Added to what I wrote previously, Live CDs make it easy to try before you
install. If you use rewritable CDs or DVDs or usb keys then the only thing
it costs is time. Try lots and then you can find a good fit.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 28 November 2010 09:52, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "rkzbos" <jackrossini@...> wrote:
> >
> > I am interested in learning and running Linux on my PC, but their are
> > many choices to choose from when if comes to which Linux version or
> > Distro to get.
>
> That is a good thing and a curse in Linux. The good thing is you get
> to try a lot of different distros if you want. The bad thing is
> that for newcomers, the choices are overwhelming. distrowatch.com is
> a great resource.
>
> >
> > To help narrow it down to my needs, I need a Linux OS for general
> > use and that it doesn't causes me to up grade every 6 months.
> > Can someone help explain to me or find information about the
> > differences of the Linux Distros.
> >
> > rkzbos
> >
>
> First, no distribution *forces* anybody to upgrade every six months.
> Ubuntu, the largest distribution in terms of the number of users
> has a six month release cycle. Those distros such as Mint that are
> based on Ubuntu also follow that cycle, usually a month or two
> after Ubuntu. All of these releases last 18 months. Ubuntu also
> has periodic long term support releases which last three years.
> I personally use Mint and skip every other release. I had Windows
> for years and found that I had to reformat my Windows drive about
> once per year. Most users find that period to be about two years
> so going with a distro for 18 months is not much different and
> going with one for three years would just be greatness.
>
> I am not a newbie yet I use Mint. Why? I just want it to work.
> Out of the box so to speak it sets up everything on my laptop or
> desktop with ease. Mint is based on Ubuntu so one might ask "why
> not just use Ubuntu?" I find that Mint's interface is much better.
> The software manager with Mint I think is far superior to the
> one in Ubuntu. I don't have to search two different menus like
> I do in Ubuntu to find what I want or need. Ubuntu/Mint uses what is
> called ".deb" for doing software installs. The other major software
> install system is called RPM. I find that ".deb" does a much better
> job of of tracking down and adding dependencies than RPM.
>
> You will get much advice regarding setting up a separate "home"
> partition. I do this, but for first time users this is like talking
> about nuclear physics until you get used to Linux. Your first time
> out, I would just go with the install defaults set up by your
> distro. Get used to Linux then you can move on to things such as
> we as a group will suggest.
>
> One warning: Microsoft teaches us that the way to find new software
> is to hunt for it on the internet, download it, then install it.
> This is one great way to get a virus!
>
> Linux distros will come with a software center or package manager.
> That is the way to get software. It is MUCH easier than the way
> Windows works and when I use the package manager, I know the
> software is tested by other users and found to be free of viruses
> and trojans. In Windows I look all over the internet to find
> software. In Linux, I go to an application on my local machine to
> find and install. Linux is easier because someone else has done
> the due diligence for me!
>
> Try out Mint and see if you find it easy to use, I highly recommend
> it. I have a post on here you can find where I explain "how to"
> set up Linux for current Windows users. Let me know if that works
> for you.
>
> Regards,
> Loyal
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment