Friday, November 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Can't change graphic settings on Ubuntu 10.10 installed Dell...

 

Thanks for the links, but it isn't drastic as I have too many computers and not enough space in my apartment, at least my landlord thinks so.  Paying it forward, or hoping they'll give me something later, is one solution for me.  When I look at all the competition on the local Craigslist in these hard times, I think I've made the right decision.

In a pinch, with this Dell, I've enlarged the fonts to make my use easier.  I hope using this computer, if he'll either let the wife and kids or himself, will spare his dual-core Dell from the onslaught of his ill-habits on the Web.  His computer had over 3000 malware on it, which I've reinstalled with his OS of choice.

How cold is it in Canada now?  The other morning it was 7 degrees F. in Reno.

Take care,
Joan in Reno

--- On Fri, 11/26/10, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Can't change graphic settings on Ubuntu 10.10 installed Dell...
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, November 26, 2010, 12:35 PM

That sounds a bit drastic and pessimistic. :)

I would try booting with a different graphics mode from grub. If that got me
in, it would likely look very good (vesa), but it would be workable. Then I
would try to install a graphics driver from Additional Drivers. If that did
not work (unusable) then I would try a console login from the login screen
(under shutdown). I would apt-get purge xserver-xorg and then re-install it.
If that did not work then I might try to be more specific and install
xserver-xorg-video-intel. I am shooting blanks because I have no experience
with that card or Dells. It is just the strategy that I would try.

If you are googling you can pretty much ignore any advice that tells you to
edit xorg.conf (and basically anything pre-Lucid). It is not used anymore
and you may compound your problems.

See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada

On 26 November 2010 13:48, Joan Leach <jleach728@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>
> Hello,
>
> Trying to get this unit set up, but I think the Intel i915 VGA card is the
> problem.  It's a Dell Insipiron 3000 Service Tag GXHXX81.  First I tried
> Ubuntu 10.10 Live, then the latest Mint Live, but saw the same problem, I
> finally installed, but it won't allow a change since the question is below
> the click range of the mouse and no it won't scroll down, it appears to have
> two overlapped displays or x-windows.
>
> I hate to give away a VGA card, plus the computer, but I may have to, if no
> one has an answer.
>
> Thanks,
> Joan in Reno
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Be a homeroom hero ¿ help Yahoo! donate up to $350K to classrooms!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment