Friday, November 5, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Fedora 14

My latest headache with Fedora involves KDE. I can't get any sound to
work besides System Sounds. No sound with Flash or even playing media
files. Nada. I switched to GNOME and everything is working fine. This
leads me to believe that the KDE version is faulty. It couldn't be
anything that I have done. :)

When switching to another distro (which I am far from new at) it is
hard to know what is due to the distro itself or your something that
you ave done or not done. since everything is different it takes
awhile to feel grounded which is why i gave a month for each
distribution. My only regret will be that I will only try 12
distributions in a year. Usually I get to try more but spend less time
with each.

I have lots of help with Arch so I may call upon it. I am a bit rusty
with the CLI and my typing is atrocious. Arch will have to wait for
another day. I am full steam ahead with Fedora.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 5 November 2010 11:30, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:10:59AM -0400, Roy wrote:
> > I find it very snappy. It seems to be noticeably faster than Kubuntu or
> > Ubuntu. I am now trying out their GNOME interface. Can't say that I was
> > crazy about the wallpaper -- broken glass with anime style graphics. That
> > went first thing. I wonder why I prefer the Fall even numbered releases
> > which is opposite to K/Ubuntu where I prefer Spring odd numbered ones. I
> > think that it is for the same reason. They are trying to do less and
> > everything works better as a consequence.
>
> They also have silly names, it's a good thing no one uses them. This one
> is called Laughlin, which most of us call Laugh-in. The next one is to
> be called Lovelock. The possibilities for jokes are endless. :)
>
> Now, I haven't used its default config, but on a VMware server (that is,
> expensive commercial type with 32 GB of RAM, paid VMware ESX and so on),
> we tried using a more or less default Fedora and Ubuntu. The Ubuntu one
> is noticeably slower. Again, these are more or less default desktop
> installs (for various reasons, we didn't go with the server or more
> minimal installs---these are for our developers.)
>
> >
> > I have given myself a challenge. I am spending one month in a different
> > distribution for a year. I am blogging the results. This month it is F14.
> > Next month who knows? Arch is on my list. I will keep Kubuntu 10.10 around
> > just in case. It is working great, so it is nice to have a fall back.
> >
>
> I know you prefer, especially as an advocate, those with GUIs, but I
> suspect you'll like Arch, and be refreshed by how easy it is to find
> documentation.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>


------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment