Friday, November 5, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Fedora 14

 

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:10:59AM -0400, Roy wrote:
> I find it very snappy. It seems to be noticeably faster than Kubuntu or
> Ubuntu. I am now trying out their GNOME interface. Can't say that I was
> crazy about the wallpaper -- broken glass with anime style graphics. That
> went first thing. I wonder why I prefer the Fall even numbered releases
> which is opposite to K/Ubuntu where I prefer Spring odd numbered ones. I
> think that it is for the same reason. They are trying to do less and
> everything works better as a consequence.

They also have silly names, it's a good thing no one uses them. This one
is called Laughlin, which most of us call Laugh-in. The next one is to
be called Lovelock. The possibilities for jokes are endless. :)

Now, I haven't used its default config, but on a VMware server (that is,
expensive commercial type with 32 GB of RAM, paid VMware ESX and so on),
we tried using a more or less default Fedora and Ubuntu. The Ubuntu one
is noticeably slower. Again, these are more or less default desktop
installs (for various reasons, we didn't go with the server or more
minimal installs---these are for our developers.)

>
> I have given myself a challenge. I am spending one month in a different
> distribution for a year. I am blogging the results. This month it is F14.
> Next month who knows? Arch is on my list. I will keep Kubuntu 10.10 around
> just in case. It is working great, so it is nice to have a fall back.
>

I know you prefer, especially as an advocate, those with GUIs, but I
suspect you'll like Arch, and be refreshed by how easy it is to find
documentation.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment