Sunday, November 28, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

I think I said that you can, if you read all that I wrote. I qualified that
statement by saying that if you skip versions then you must re-install at
the end of 18 months. My point was not so much the skipping versions, but
about making a choice between two upgrade paths. In choosing LTS or regular
releases you are locking yourself in. Yes, you can mix the two but there are
consequences that you should know about. You can go from LTS to regular, but
that changes your upgrade path as well as your version. You cannot
downgrade, so you are locked in to the six month cycle or waiting for a time
and doing a fresh installation.

The idea behind the LTS is that it is to provide a stable platform. There
may be kinks in a release, but they work out over time. As with everything
this is relative. One user may find a particular release problematic while
other may see it as perfect. It depends on your hardware and changes made
with a given release. One time it can be sound or another it could be
graphics, but only with certain cards. The general opinion is that 10.04 was
a good release, although as with all things there are exceptions. It has
been thoroughly tested by Phoronix and other sites and passes the test.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 28 November 2010 10:29, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> See below.
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > Choosing a distro is like finding a good pair of shoes.
> > Huge <snip>
>
> > You cannot skip versions.
>
> Yes you can. You just may not be able to use the "Upgrade" tool
> included with the distro to do your upgrade. I have not found
> these "upgrade" programs to be stable anyway. Here is my experience:
> I ran Ubuntu 9.04 until 10.04 LTS came out. At that point I used
> the included upgrade tool to go from 9.04 to 9.10. Everything worked
> great. Ran it a couple of days then did the 9.10 to 10.04 upgrade.
> Total disaster. The system would not even boot. Ended up having
> to install 10.04 clean. BTW there were problems there too but I
> get to those below.
>
> > You should know this up front. If
> > you want stability then install 10.04 and not 10.10.
> >
>
> I could not disagree with this statement more. In general, what he
> is saying is true. 10.04 is a long term support version so it should
> be viable for three years. My experience is that 10.04 is just a
> bad release. Canonical, the Ubuntu folks by committing to a six
> month release cycle have been notorious for putting out some
> really bad releases. 10.04 IMO is one of these. They tried to
> change a lot for 10.04 and the release has much to be desired in
> terms of functionality and stability. I believe they finally got
> it right with 10.10. When I did my clean install on 10.04 it again
> crapped out and would not boot. Not to be deterred, I tried
> installing it on a different machine a laptop. It took me three
> tries before I got it to work and then only because I used an
> external monitor on the laptop I was using. The new graphical
> welcome screen simply would not display on the internal laptop
> panel. On my desktop machine, I never found a way to get past this
> so I went with a Beta version of 10.10 which installed flawlessly.
> On my desktop where I use Ubuntu, I eventually re-installed the
> 10.10 final release. For me, 10.04 was just a flawed release and
> that is too bad since it is an LTS release. I highly recommend
> against using it or any distro based on it.
>
> > <snip>
>
> >
> > Roy
> >
> > Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
> > Location: Canada
> > <snip>
> <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
>
> > > "rkzbos" <jackrossini@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I am interested in learning and running Linux on my PC, but their are
> > > many choices to choose from when if comes to which Linux version or
> Distro
> > > to get.
> > > >
> > > > To help narrow it down to my needs, I need a Linux OS for general use
> and
> > > that it doesn't causes me to up grade every 6 months.
> > > > Can someone help explain to me or find information about the
> differences
> > > of the Linux Distros.
> > > >
> > > > rkzbos
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment