Monday, November 22, 2010

[nslu2-linux] Inaccessible slug, unusual behavior

 

Hello,

I am running SlogOS 4.8. Rarely and irregurarly my slug has the following behavior:

1. stops accepting ssh connections
2. does not allow NFS connections
3. does not allow connections to the imap server
4. stops logging

but

5. it replies to ping commands
6. port scan shows imap port open, ssh and nfs ports closed
7. the 2 attached HD leds show normal activity (i.e. similar to when the system works normally)

Pushing the power button does not power off the slug but Ready/Status and Ethernet leds change their behavior to continuous activity. To power off I have to pull the plug. After restoring power and pressing the power button the slug reboot normally.

This becomes a big problem when it happens when I am away from the slug. Then I am out of service (sometimes it can be the best part of a week) until I reboot it, as mentioned above.

It seems to me that this is not a complete crash. I would like to investigate the situation further in order to find a remedy or a way to recover remotely.

I have thought of writing a cron script that would check if ssh is running or not and restart it if needed. But this requires cron to be running and I am not sure this is the case.

I would appreciate any short of help on how to resolve this situation.

Thank you.
Antonis

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment