Sunday, November 28, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

 

See below.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> Choosing a distro is like finding a good pair of shoes.
> Huge <snip>

> You cannot skip versions.

Yes you can. You just may not be able to use the "Upgrade" tool
included with the distro to do your upgrade. I have not found
these "upgrade" programs to be stable anyway. Here is my experience:
I ran Ubuntu 9.04 until 10.04 LTS came out. At that point I used
the included upgrade tool to go from 9.04 to 9.10. Everything worked
great. Ran it a couple of days then did the 9.10 to 10.04 upgrade.
Total disaster. The system would not even boot. Ended up having
to install 10.04 clean. BTW there were problems there too but I
get to those below.

> You should know this up front. If
> you want stability then install 10.04 and not 10.10.
>

I could not disagree with this statement more. In general, what he
is saying is true. 10.04 is a long term support version so it should
be viable for three years. My experience is that 10.04 is just a
bad release. Canonical, the Ubuntu folks by committing to a six
month release cycle have been notorious for putting out some
really bad releases. 10.04 IMO is one of these. They tried to
change a lot for 10.04 and the release has much to be desired in
terms of functionality and stability. I believe they finally got
it right with 10.10. When I did my clean install on 10.04 it again
crapped out and would not boot. Not to be deterred, I tried
installing it on a different machine a laptop. It took me three
tries before I got it to work and then only because I used an
external monitor on the laptop I was using. The new graphical
welcome screen simply would not display on the internal laptop
panel. On my desktop machine, I never found a way to get past this
so I went with a Beta version of 10.10 which installed flawlessly.
On my desktop where I use Ubuntu, I eventually re-installed the
10.10 final release. For me, 10.04 was just a flawed release and
that is too bad since it is an LTS release. I highly recommend
against using it or any distro based on it.

> <snip>
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
> <snip>
<LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > "rkzbos" <jackrossini@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am interested in learning and running Linux on my PC, but their are
> > many choices to choose from when if comes to which Linux version or Distro
> > to get.
> > >
> > > To help narrow it down to my needs, I need a Linux OS for general use and
> > that it doesn't causes me to up grade every 6 months.
> > > Can someone help explain to me or find information about the differences
> > of the Linux Distros.
> > >
> > > rkzbos
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment