Friday, November 5, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Fedora 14

I find it very snappy. It seems to be noticeably faster than Kubuntu or
Ubuntu. I am now trying out their GNOME interface. Can't say that I was
crazy about the wallpaper -- broken glass with anime style graphics. That
went first thing. I wonder why I prefer the Fall even numbered releases
which is opposite to K/Ubuntu where I prefer Spring odd numbered ones. I
think that it is for the same reason. They are trying to do less and
everything works better as a consequence.

I have given myself a challenge. I am spending one month in a different
distribution for a year. I am blogging the results. This month it is F14.
Next month who knows? Arch is on my list. I will keep Kubuntu 10.10 around
just in case. It is working great, so it is nice to have a fall back.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 5 November 2010 06:53, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>
>
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:33:02PM -0400, Roy wrote:
> > I am using F14. Things are generally going well. However, package
> > management is a bit confusing. I can install from the command line
> > using yum and rpm or from Yumex with the GUI. But for some strange
> > reason, neither Packagekit nor Add/ Remove Software work. I get the
> > same error. I get no such table: packages and package list needs to be
> > rebuilt. It says to use the backend to fix it. I have done this from
> > yum using the commandline, but it does not seem to do anything in
> > Add/Remove or Packagekit.
>
> In theory, PackageKit works in conjunction with yum.
>
> The fact that it isn't is probably a bug--on the other hand, I think the
> vast majority of Fedora users stick with yum--in part because, with
> Fedora often being broken, one is better off using the command line to
> see what's going on.
>
> >
> > It is mystifying. I am used to Ubuntu where apt and Synaptic are
> > basically the same thing. If one works the other will. If Synaptic
> > works then Software Centre will too.
>
> In theory it should. In theory, theory and practice are the same,
> in practice, they often aren't. :)
>
> My own experience with F14--been using it since the Beta came out on my
> workstation at work--has been pretty decent. Some undocumented changes
> in the way they do ldap clients--they've broken /etc/ldap.conf into two
> files, pam_ldap.conf and nss_ldap.conf, but that's the way Linux goes,
> let's complicate the already complicated and not tell anyone.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment