Tuesday, December 29, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 8 + Network = Oops...

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "lexie" <oxolexiexox@...> wrote:
>
> Months ago I tried rescuing old IBM r30 from a trash heap by installing Linux (Moon OS 3). At first, there was only 128mb ram so full ubuntu or mint was no option. I mostly use it as file/print server and it worked until recently. After one update the IBM didn't "see" other computers on my network anymore, but it really wasn't necessary because the others could still "see" the printer and files on my external drive hooked up to it.
>
> My dad found some cheap memory on eBay and we upgraded it to 512mb, and like a week ago (don't ask why :p), I decided to install mint 8 on it. In Moon OS, I just shared the top level directory and applied all the settings and stuff to all the folders. That didn't work in mint, so I stopped being lazy and shared each individual folder but only 1 folder worked. I googled a few things but the suggestions were from older versions and I didn't know if I should try it.
>
> My printer doesn't network right either. When I try printing, it seem like it tries to send it to the printer but after a minute or 2, I get an error.
>
> any ideas? thx
>

First, instructions for old versions of Mint should work fine. It has
not changed enough since version 5 to make those suggestions obsolete.
When you say you shared a bunch of folders, do you mean via Samba?
If so, I think by default Samba is set up for user level security.
If you don't have it, install this application:

system-config-samba

This will create a menu item for Samba configuration under the
Administrator's menu. Once you have that application installed, run
it. Under preferences, change the workgroup to your MS workgroup
name. Next go to Preferences->Samba users. Set up one or more
Samba users with passwords. Next, go through your list of shares
and make sure the users can access each share you want it to.

As far as printers go to http://localhost:631. You should be able
to set up sharing there.

Loyal

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment