Friday, December 25, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] suse wireless 11.0 help

 

Hello all,

I have installed suse 11.0 in a dell inspiron 1150. It dual boots with winXP. Wireless works fine with Windows.

Problem is that under Linux, the card is able to pick up the correct static IP and communicate with other nodes on the local private network. The problem is that I cannot get out to the Internet even though I can connect to and ping the router.

Is there a command that shows me the IP configuration similar to windows ipconfig command? I tried iwconfig and ifconfig but they do not show the dns and gateway settings. Either of which would account for not being able to see the internet.

YAST config tool shows the correct wireless card settings. Is there anyway to start the network config from scratch?

I also noticed that from the wireless network applet in the task bar, I cannot erase wireless networks that are presently setup. They seem to be protected. Is there some way to unprotect them?

Finally I noticed that I can only gain access to the network apps in the command line (iwconfig, ifconfig) when logged in as root. How can I grant access to a regular user (me) when logged in?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment