Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Connect to MS Home Network

 

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:09, Grump <fuelg44@gmail.com> wrote:
> Samba is already installed in this version but I can't find a menu to
> configure it other than using the terminal & modifying the smb.conf folder
> where I'm denied permission to do so & my attempts to obtain ownership also
> fail. :(
> G.

You need to be root to do this.

In your terminal do this:

# su -

then enter the root password, then you can cd into /etc and edit to
your hearts content...

Just be sure to do this:

service smb restart

or

service samba restart

assuming that Mint includes service like Red Hat and RH Clones do....

Otherwise, you may have to do something like this:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart (for SuSE)

or something similar. I've never used Mint, so I'm not familiar with
where they put the startup scripts, so YMMV and all that stuff.

I think samba also supports reload, so just use "reload" instead of
"restart" which should just re-read the config file and go, as opposed
to shutting the samba server down and starting it from scratch.

Cheers,
Jeff

--

Charles de Gaulle - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment