Saturday, December 26, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] suse wireless 11.0 help

 

Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply.  These are good tips and I am taking this all as part of the learning curve with Linux.  I have a fat book on suse 11.0 and it has helped me somewhat in getting to some of those command line tools.  However it is somewhat generic and doesn't have the fine, gritty stuff that need to be used on occasions like this.

Last night after posting my request and in between nods, I was able to narrow the problem down a bit.  I found the section in my book about using the "ip" command.  I was
able to use the "ip route show" command to tell me that the settings
that the nic is using however the gateway is not being picked up by the
network configuration despite it being present in the YAST network adapter configuration tool.

I
am not sure which configuration file is actually updated by the YAST
tool.  I found one in /etc/networkmanager/system-connections/wireless
connection 1

this is a configuration file that looks like it is
the one that is being read upon bootup.  It has a section called
[IPV4].  Under this section, the card gets its ip address, dns, network
mask but NOT the gateway address.  If I have it pegged, then this is
why it cannot get out of the local network.  However I do not know the sytax of the gateway entry, if it
indeed has one.

In fact, there is an app called something like "view current connection" which resides in the lower left part of the screen, its like a menu of shortcuts.  When I select this one, it shows me the wireless connection and its correct SSID: "PHOENIX", but the rest of the info is like totally divorced from reality.  It appears as if my network card picked up from some type of dhcp server a set of addresses that are not even close to the private address network address I am using.

Yet when I go to the command line and do the "ip route show" command, the correct address, dns, etc. show up minus the gateway.

I ran the command "ip route add default via 192.168.13.1" (which is my router address) and my workstation could get online, browse, etc.  This makes me suspect that the configuration file may only need the gateway syntax added and it should work.  Its a theory but evidence points in this direction.

So,
am I on the right track on this?  If so, does anyone know what the
correct sytax is?  Also how can I get YAST to write to the config
file?  If I erase this file, can I start from scratch?

Any advice is real welcome.

Thanks,

Tony

--- On Sat, 12/26/09, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

From: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] suse wireless 11.0 help
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, December 26, 2009, 3:34 AM

 

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 04:53:16AM -0000, Tony wrote:

> Hello all,

>

> I have installed suse 11.0 in a dell inspiron 1150. It dual boots with winXP. Wireless works fine with Windows.

>

> Problem is that under Linux, the card is able to pick up the correct static IP and communicate with other nodes on the local private network. The problem is that I cannot get out to the Internet even though I can connect to and ping the router.

>

Can you ping 4.2.2.2? If that's the case, the card can reach the

Internet, it simply can't resolve names, meaning it's a DNS issue.

> Is there a command that shows me the IP configuration similar to windows ipconfig command? I tried iwconfig and ifconfig but they do not show the dns and gateway settings. Either of which would account for not being able to see the internet.

To see the gateway the command

route -n

will give output that should include the gateway. Usually the third

line will have something like

0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

The 0.0.0.0 refers to default routing. The command netstat -r will also

work, producing similar output.

To see the DNS servers, look for something like /etc/resolv. conf.

Mine looks something like

search scottro.net

domain scottro.net

nameserver 192.168.1.115

nameserver 192.168.1.1

nameserver 208.67.222.222

The nameserver lines are the DNS servers. (The last one is opendns, a

server that often works better than my own ISP's servers, the others are

my internal DNS server and my router.)

This file can be configured manually.

>

> YAST config tool shows the correct wireless card settings. Is there anyway to start the network config from scratch?

I'm not familiar with SuSE. However, in Fedora, often the problem isn't

the network, it's the configuration tool, that is the graphic interface,

that doesn't work properly. I have a page on testing it in Fedora,

taking the GUI interface out of the equation--I have no idea if it will

help with SuSE or not.

http://home. roadrunner. com/~computertai jutsu/wireless. html

>

> I also noticed that from the wireless network applet in the task bar, I cannot erase wireless networks that are presently setup. They seem to be protected. Is there some way to unprotect them?

>

You mean your own wireless network, or those that are available in the

area? Assuming you mean your own that you've set up, this depends, I

assume, upon which Desktop you're using, Gnome, KDE, or something else.

(I can't help either way as I don't use the graphic tools). :)

> Finally I noticed that I can only gain access to the network apps in the command line (iwconfig, ifconfig) when logged in as root. How can I grant access to a regular user (me) when logged in?

That is probably a path issue. RH, and some others, do it the same way,

hiding all the /sbin and /usr/sbin files from normal users. I have

another page on that at

http://home. roadrunner. com/~computertai jutsu/rhpath. html

To give a regular user access to simply viewing, you will change your

$PATH variable (explained in the link above). That article also has a

link to a page on sudo, which will explain how to give other users

power to alter, rather than just view, such settings.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Anya: Men like sports. I'm sure of it.

Xander: Yes. Men like sports. Men watch the action movie, they

eat of the beef, and they enjoy to look at the bosoms. A thousand

years of avenging our wrongs, and that's all you've learned?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment