Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 8 + Network = Oops...

 

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:15:32PM -0500, J wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 22:03, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> >  For me, the fun part of Linux, and the thing that actually
> > brought me there (I started my career as an MCSE), was working with the
> > text files.
>
> Yeah, me either, but I do suggest it from time to time. It usually
> DOES make things easier, and when it comes to GUI tools, I do prefer
> single purpose ones to multi purpose ones... like Linuxconf.

ROTFLMAO. Did that ever work for you? I remember buying--yes, buying,
Mandrake, and going through their book on it.

>
> asked when something config-wise came up was "Did you use Linuxconf?"
>
> Invariably, the answer was yes, and the first reply was "Delete it
> NOW!" and lets start over...

Ah, that answers that question.

>
> > It's not that hard.  I have a (VERY dated) article on Samba, that might
> > even have a few relevant points, at http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/samba.html
>
> Dated though it may be, your how-tos are usually pretty good.
>
> > Of course, what's hard is what you don't feel like doing. I always
> > start saying bad words to myself when working with printers, but find it
> > fun to google for an hour to find the one line I have to put in my mutt
> > configuration file to do something new.
>
> Admittedly, the only time I used SWAT was when I was feeling
> particularly lazy and wanted a quick point and click fix instead of
> typing and actually looking at what I was doing to config a samba
> server that I needed to do some specific things... but I got over that
> quickly and came back to the light side... I don't even use GUIs to
> configure test machines at work, just a few config scripts I wrote to
> do common tasks that i can run off a USB drive that has all my test
> tools and scripts on it.

I played with webmin--in my case, I didn't feel like doing a dhcp.conf
file--freaken' semicolons.

>
> > Xander: The band, yeah. They're great. They march.
> > Willow: Like an army. Except with music, instead of bullets, and
> > usually no one dies.
>
> The only band is Nerf Herder (and only a Buffy fan would get that)

Ah, memories. Now I have the song stuck in my head. With some youtube
clips of folks putting the song to Harry Potter scenes.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Buffy: What should we do with the trio over here? Should we burn
them?
Willow: I brought marshmallows.

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment