Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 8 + Network = Oops...

 

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 22:03, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> I've never been a big swat fan.  So often, GUIs get in the way--I see
> that all the time on Fedora forums, noticing all the issues people have
> that I don't have, because I've come to prefer command line
> tools.  For me, the fun part of Linux, and the thing that actually
> brought me there (I started my career as an MCSE), was working with the
> text files.

Yeah, me either, but I do suggest it from time to time. It usually
DOES make things easier, and when it comes to GUI tools, I do prefer
single purpose ones to multi purpose ones... like Linuxconf.

For those of you who aren't old enough to remember those days (grin)
Linuxconf was a "Do-it-all configuration tool" and was really the
first attempt at a GUI tool to do complete system configuration. The
real big problem with it though, was that when you ran it, and saved
your changes, it re-wrote EVERYTHING.

So for example, you open it up to configure Samba (just saying that
since it's germane to this thread). You make some config changes and
then save/exit. Instead of just writing changes to smb.conf, it would
re-write EVERY config file it touched, which very often led to things
like, changing your network settings only to find that your printer no
longer worked, or changing some small config to find EVERY other
config was now reset to defaults :-) Oh those were the days... when I
was doing tech support, the first software related question I ever
asked when something config-wise came up was "Did you use Linuxconf?"

Invariably, the answer was yes, and the first reply was "Delete it
NOW!" and lets start over...

> It's not that hard.  I have a (VERY dated) article on Samba, that might
> even have a few relevant points, at http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/samba.html

Dated though it may be, your how-tos are usually pretty good.

> Of course, what's hard is what you don't feel like doing. I always
> start saying bad words to myself when working with printers, but find it
> fun to google for an hour to find the one line I have to put in my mutt
> configuration file to do something new.

Admittedly, the only time I used SWAT was when I was feeling
particularly lazy and wanted a quick point and click fix instead of
typing and actually looking at what I was doing to config a samba
server that I needed to do some specific things... but I got over that
quickly and came back to the light side... I don't even use GUIs to
configure test machines at work, just a few config scripts I wrote to
do common tasks that i can run off a USB drive that has all my test
tools and scripts on it.

> Xander: The band, yeah. They're great. They march.
> Willow: Like an army. Except with music, instead of bullets, and
> usually no one dies.

The only band is Nerf Herder (and only a Buffy fan would get that)

--

Samuel Goldwyn - "I don't think anyone should write their
autobiography until after they're dead." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment